close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

.308 effective hunting range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 08-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 15
.308 effective hunting range

Hello, I live in Argentina, and I like long range shooting hunting. I have a .308 rifle; what do you think would be the longest range on an axis deer game for this caliber, and the same question on a hog? What kind of bullets would be suitable for this kind of hunting (The only brands available are Hornady and Sierra, I would prefer 165 grains or heavier)
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 08-05-2014, 03:56 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Posts: 121
    Re: .308 effective hunting range

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elarteperfecto View Post
    Hello, I live in Argentina, and I like long range shooting hunting. I have a .308 rifle; what do you think would be the longest range on an axis deer game for this caliber, and the same question on a hog? What kind of bullets would be suitable for this kind of hunting (The only brands available are Hornady and Sierra, I would prefer 165 grains or heavier)
    Thanks in advance


    I only shoot steel with a .308 and hunt with magnum calibers, however I would be more concerned with shot placement on an axis deer using 175gr bullets rather than range. A well placed accurate shot will put down just about any deer species with quality 175gr bullets out to appx 800yds. Hogs- I have never hunted hogs here in the south west (USA) so I cant give advice worth a darn
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Falls Church, VA
    Posts: 3,474
    Re: .308 effective hunting range

    For deer and hogs, the 308 can be effective out to 600 yards with a well placed shot. Both Hornady and Sierra has good hunting bullet options in the 165+ weight class. For Sierra look at the 165 and 180grain Game Kings. For Hornady, they look at their Interlock and Interbond bullets (available in 165+) and avoid the tipped bullets like the SST. When shooting at hogs, you want a tough bullet that will punch through the shoulder blade.
    __________________
    I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 08-05-2014, 04:47 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,454
    Re: .308 effective hunting range

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trebark View Post
    For deer and hogs, the 308 can be effective out to 600 yards with a well placed shot. Both Hornady and Sierra has good hunting bullet options in the 165+ weight class. For Sierra look at the 165 and 180grain Game Kings. For Hornady, they look at their Interlock and Interbond bullets (available in 165+) and avoid the tipped bullets like the SST. When shooting at hogs, you want a tough bullet that will punch through the shoulder blade.
    The .308 can effectively kill deer sized game a little farther than 600 yards. I'd say around 750-850 (if you wanted to push it) with a 168-175gr bullet. As long as you had a 24-26" barrel to add some extra velocity to it.

    As for the hogs, I wouldn't shoot them further an 500-600 with a .308...They're tough SOB's.
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 08-05-2014, 05:03 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Falls Church, VA
    Posts: 3,474
    Re: .308 effective hunting range

    perfecto...listen carefully as it has been said twice "well placed shot."

    I agree that a 308 can kill deer past 600 but it's ability to make a well placed shot gets questionable beyond 600 yards with an average man on the trigger.
    __________________
    I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 08-05-2014, 05:06 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Posts: 15
    Re: .308 effective hunting range

    Thank you very much for the answers.
    Does anyone know wht match bullets are not recomended for hunting?
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,454
    Re: .308 effective hunting range

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elarteperfecto View Post
    Thank you very much for the answers.
    Does anyone know wht match bullets are not recomended for hunting?
    All of them....That's why they're labeled "target" bullets.
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC