Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.308 effective hunting range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 02:29 PM

.308 effective hunting range

Hello, I live in Argentina, and I like long range shooting hunting. I have a .308 rifle; what do you think would be the longest range on an axis deer game for this caliber, and the same question on a hog? What kind of bullets would be suitable for this kind of hunting (The only brands available are Hornady and Sierra, I would prefer 165 grains or heavier)
Thanks in advance
Old 08-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .308 effective hunting range

Quote:
Originally Posted by elarteperfecto View Post
Hello, I live in Argentina, and I like long range shooting hunting. I have a .308 rifle; what do you think would be the longest range on an axis deer game for this caliber, and the same question on a hog? What kind of bullets would be suitable for this kind of hunting (The only brands available are Hornady and Sierra, I would prefer 165 grains or heavier)
Thanks in advance

I only shoot steel with a .308 and hunt with magnum calibers, however I would be more concerned with shot placement on an axis deer using 175gr bullets rather than range. A well placed accurate shot will put down just about any deer species with quality 175gr bullets out to appx 800yds. Hogs- I have never hunted hogs here in the south west (USA) so I cant give advice worth a darn
Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

For deer and hogs, the 308 can be effective out to 600 yards with a well placed shot. Both Hornady and Sierra has good hunting bullet options in the 165+ weight class. For Sierra look at the 165 and 180grain Game Kings. For Hornady, they look at their Interlock and Interbond bullets (available in 165+) and avoid the tipped bullets like the SST. When shooting at hogs, you want a tough bullet that will punch through the shoulder blade.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
For deer and hogs, the 308 can be effective out to 600 yards with a well placed shot. Both Hornady and Sierra has good hunting bullet options in the 165+ weight class. For Sierra look at the 165 and 180grain Game Kings. For Hornady, they look at their Interlock and Interbond bullets (available in 165+) and avoid the tipped bullets like the SST. When shooting at hogs, you want a tough bullet that will punch through the shoulder blade.
The .308 can effectively kill deer sized game a little farther than 600 yards. I'd say around 750-850 (if you wanted to push it) with a 168-175gr bullet. As long as you had a 24-26" barrel to add some extra velocity to it.

As for the hogs, I wouldn't shoot them further an 500-600 with a .308...They're tough SOB's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

perfecto...listen carefully as it has been said twice "well placed shot."

I agree that a 308 can kill deer past 600 but it's ability to make a well placed shot gets questionable beyond 600 yards with an average man on the trigger.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:06 PM

Thank you very much for the answers.
Does anyone know wht match bullets are not recomended for hunting?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elarteperfecto View Post
Thank you very much for the answers.
Does anyone know wht match bullets are not recomended for hunting?
All of them....That's why they're labeled "target" bullets.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.