Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.300wsm OAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

.300wsm OAL

Hey guys, just got some dummy loads for my .300wsm from liltank and when I seat the .208gr Amax's or bigger, they WILL NOT fit in my magazine. I figured this since my magazine is barely 2.89" long. I did see that some aftermarket magazines will give me some slack in mag length at somewhere around 2.965 or so... but does anyone make magazines with over 3" of OAL? I know that most people will tell me to go ahead and get a long action, but I like the short action (id just get a win mag if I wanted the long action) and I love the .300wsm cartridge. I have heard a few people on here shooting the 230gr berger OTM out of the .300wsm with some success. Is it unreasonable to want a repeater with this load??!

Thanks in advance!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .300wsm OAL

Just tagging to see response. 2.900" is not a bad finish length. A bunch of guys are building repeaters, so it's not a problem. Looking forward to responses.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

I keep hearing about this Seekins DBM that will allow me to seat the Bergers to around 3.1" but I cant find the damn things no matter how hard I look. Then I had some direction from another forum and a few members here to seek out the WYATT DBM but I cant find them for a short mag either! This is damn ridiculous! If I had the equipment Id make some damn magazines for the shortmags and make some money off of the 100 people ive talked too who wish to have repeaters out of the single shot short mags! Thanks for the tag though Jeromy
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

You can get a 308 mag and modify the mag lips.
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

would the magazine be wide and deep enough to handle a couple (3-4) wsm loaded cases. If so I will go and get a seekins right now in .308 maybe even the 10rd magazine so i could atleast load 5wsm's.

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

I used a .308 Savage mag in my DBM for a wsm. I had to pry the lips apart a little, but could fit 2 in a 4rnd mag. Did you email either Seekins or Wyatt? I asked them both on their contact page to see what they suggest. Maybe wait a day or two and I will post my results of their reply.

Tank

Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Jeromy, I am starting to think that you are a stalker! You go out of your way to help me out EVERY TIME! I am kidding of course about the stalker thing! But screw posting a thread, I should have just stuck to PM's! You always have the solution to my problems! I appreciate it man, I will email them and see what they say! I look forward to the added space in the magazine and with some milling done to the receiver I should be able to load those 215-230grs out to atleast 2.9!!! Thanks again buddy

--cody

--Kirby Allen