Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300gr SMK Woes-Maybe??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 08:45 AM
SPONSOR

Re: 300gr SMK Woes-Maybe??

Check out this thread. They penetrate and expand.

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...part=1&vc=1
Old 11-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
i am asking the same question reguarding mk's on elk under 800 yards, will they expand and penetrate ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue is not one of range. The issue is impact velocity and location. You should ask a question in a way that has a reasonable chance of getting an intelligent answer.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I learned quickly that when using the SMK that is it my opinion that the best choice is to take out shoulder bones when you shoot big game critters. I like breaking the shoulders on big game. Generally, they do not travel nearly as far as a double lung punched animal and in the case of the 300 gr SMK, the bone helps initiate more expansion as well.

I am not saying at all that a chest shot is not a good killing shot because that could not be farther from the trueth. All I am saying is that in areas with heavy cover I really prefer to give up a little shoulder meat to put an animal on its nose in a hurry.

The farther an animal travels past the first 100 yards from a hit, the higher the odds of loosing the animal are, even with a critically wounded animal.

I am not sure if you were holding for a shoulder hit or not but I can assure you that big 300 gr SMK out of your Edge will make a more authoritative impact on shoulders then it will on a soft chest impact. Dead is dead but in heavy cover that may not result in a recovered animal in every case.

I would also not get to carried away with your perception of this first hunt. S___ happens to all of us. I suspect your next outing may result in a totally different result.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com