Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300gr SMK Woes-Maybe??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300gr SMK Woes-Maybe??

300 grain SMK fails 3x's in a row, thats a hard sell. Check zero on paper not a head shot then place one where you want it and go collect your dead animal.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Bronze Member

I HAVE KILL MOOSE AND DEER WITH THE 300 SMK'S ALL ONE SHOT KILLS. THIS DEER SEASON I MADE A TEXAS HART SHOT ON A BUCK AT 426 YDS. DROPPED LIKE A ROCK. I THINK THE SMK IS A GREAT HUNTING BULLET IN A BIG CALIPER. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think it's a problem with the 300 grain SMK. I would ask over at 24 hour campfire under the deer hunting forum and see what they think.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Bronze Member

Don't get me wrong. I am not at all for faulting the bullet to start with. My question should have been worded slightly differently.

I have seen and heard a lot of feedback on the 300 SMK at longer distance like 500+ yards. My question was more geared for questions about performance at closer ranges lije less than 100yards or even 200 yards.

Also for just referfence I did re-shoot the rifle and the zero is and was dead on just like I had left it. I also had little doubt that it was on or I would not shoot at a doe. It was supposed to be more of a feel better thing as I am not used to missing stuff even though it was a long shot.

Also for reference I have been shooting this rifle almost everyday since I got it just getting used to it so I had good reason to believe the zero was spot on.

I have no doubt that the 300gr SMK is a great bullet I was just wondering if it was not the best bullet for my application.

The main problem I have is that we are in serious brush. If the animal does not fall quickly or leave somewhat of a small blood trail then I am screwed. A whole lot of the brush I hunt in is almost impossible to navigate through. There have been many bow kills that the dog found where we had to literally cut our way into the brush. We even had one where we had to get the front end loader to clear a way to get to the animal.

So while animal may die and the bullet performed well, I need something that will kill them where they stand or at least leave a blood trail.

Now that leaves the rest up to me and I know I have to make a good shot to kill the animal. In the case of the Waterbuck I could have made a poor shot and it is also equally as possible that I hit a stem of tall grass, a twig or something else I did not see through the scope or with my bare eyes. In the heavy brush anything is possible, I learned that a long time ago.

My main concern was that the bullet was not opening at closer range and at that velocity.

I guess I was really hoping to hear what you guys are saying. It is much easier for me to fix my shooting and/or my shot placement than it is to hurry up and grab another long range rifle. I am just chalking it up to a bad weekend. It was bound to happen at some point I guess.

Also remember that I probably shoot at least 150 animals per year minimum so a bad shot or something was destined to occur. It does not make me feel any better but, I guess better now than on that 180" bruiser in KS!!

I will be killing a lot of stuff with this rifle here over the next 8-10 weeks and I will keep you up to date. I believe we are shooting around 175 does this year alone! I probably won't do them all with the 338 Edge but, a bunch of them will be getting that 300gr piece of lead so in due time I will be able to see the magic happen!

Thanks for the replies and the comments. Hopefully the next story will have a picture attached!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:32 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's a problem with the 300 grain SMK. I would ask over at 24 hour campfire under the deer hunting forum and see what they think.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
this made me laugh because you only used 3 smiley faces, if you have ever been on this forum you will recognize that most of the posters are clueless (Big Stick, Mark Dobrenski,CAS , POP that is probably posting this over there even as we speak) if you need a big chuckle check it out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

the best answer i can give you, from hunting in several countries and states around the u.s., with many different smaller calibers, using regular hunting type bullets...
is shoot for the shoulders, yeah it ruins some meat, but it drops them on the spot.
i have no experience with shooting animals with mk bullets, so i don't know how they perform on living tissue, sure they're accurate, and a hole thru vitals will kill em, but what size hole ? is the energy being deposited to the animal ?

i am asking the same question reguarding mk's on elk under 800 yards, will they expand and penetrate ?