Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 yard range(WIND) test with 257 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2005, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: 300 yard range(WIND) test with 257 AM

Those Pills are moving!!!! Is the Allen Mag hard on barrels?
Have you already posted a pic of the rifle on a different thread? if not can you post one?

Thanks

skip [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 07:52 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

TommyB,

Dan is getting me barrels on average 8 weeks after ordering them. He has supprised me with a few as soon as 6 weeks after order but that is not the norm. IT is pretty consistant with the 8-9 week shipping time.

Yes there is a 7mm Rem Mag improved. I believe it is called the 7mm Mach IV. There is an entire family on this case design including the 6mm, 6.5 and 7mm. There may be others, these are the three I am familiar with.

TO be honest, my recommendation would be against this round. The reason, and this is from an accuracy minded gunsmith so take it for that please, is that the current production belted magnum brass is relatively inconsistant in the headspace measurement, that being from the base to the forward edge of the rim.

Now we all know that a belted magnum headspaces off the shoulder once fired in the chamber which is as it should be but with my rifles, I chamber the barrels very tight. Doing this with a belted magnum round can result in a certain percentage of brass not fitting the chamber because their headspace dimensions are out of spec, often by a fair margin.

TO get around this problem, you chamber deeper then I like to because this headspace measurement will not conform to the chamber when fired, it will always be this way as the belt is part of the solid case head.

Now, non belted brass is the same way, in fact it generally has a wider variation in headspace BUT... The soft thin shoulder WILL conform under fireforming pressure. What this means is that the first time you fire the case it may be a tight fit chambering but after that it will drop in perfectly because it can conform to the chamber specs.

I do not know if this would interest you but I just drew up a reamer print and submitted it for a custom dimensioned 7mm Dakota reamer. It is throated to take advantage of the Rem 700 receiver length.

This in my opinion would be a vastly superior choice over the 7mm Mach IV. The 7mm Dakota will match the 7mm STW in same length barrels and do so with a case length no longer then the standard 7mm Rem Mag. It also gets rid of the belt and all the problems associated with it.

The brass is more expensive but starting late this fall and winter, Norma will be making Dakota brass for them, at least that is the rumor going around.

Other advantages of this round, no fireforming needed, standard dies instead of having custom dies built, much higher performance then any 7mm Rem Mag based wildcat and I will have the reamer here in a couple months so that would not cost you extra either.

In a lightweight rifle it is alot of power but with a Holland QD brake it would be a pussy cat to shoot. The lighter the rifle, the better the brakes work.

Just another idea to muddy the waters a bit more [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Skip AI,

Yes they are clipping right along out of all the AM wildcats, heavy too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

I have always been upfront about these rounds being designed specifically for big game hunting which for this purpose, shooting volume is generally quite low.

There is no other way to look at these rounds. TO get X amount of performance you need a certain amount of powder and pressure. Our performance goals for these rounds were extreme to begin with and as such we knew that the throats in these rifles would not last 2000 rounds. That said we did everything possible to increase throat life as much as possible by using stainless 3 groove barrels designed specifically for wildcats. We also use the very slow burnign ball powders which offer longer barrel life over stick powders because of lower flame temps and less friction as the powder passes through the throat of the chamber.

Still, even with all this, I would say they are 1000 to 1200 round rifles for big game hunting purposes. It all depends on how you use them and how you care for the barrel. If you abuse them you will get about 400 rounds of throat life. If you take care of them you will get 1000 rounds through the 257 AM easily and still be able to hammer a whitetail at 600 yards.

The larger caliber Allen Mags are certainly more bore friendly and I would say they will get you 1200 rounds of top level big game hunting accuracy before needing either a barrel set back to new pipe installed.

Here are a couple pics of the rifle so you can see what she looks like. With a #5 contour barrel, that 30" looks pretty skinny on the end and in fact it IS!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Bronze Member

Fifty, I have enjoyed reading your reports on your Allen Mags. I especially appreciate your candor in reporting the good with the not so good. You have explored the lighter side and found that accuracy degrades a bit and you reported it on an open forum! That kind of info really helps in making decisions. Thanks and keep it up.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

are you sure a case that big would be the ticket for a 24" barrel in 7mm? i think that's the length of barrel he said he wants.i'm votin for a 7wsm for his light carry gun.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dave,

The kicker is getting the stub of a WSM to feel well in the long action Rem 700. This is why I would prefer the 7mm Dakota. It may be more case then the barrel can efficently use but it will still outperform anything smaller in this caliber.

I was going to recommend the 7mm AM. But though that may be a bit to much for a 24" pipe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]! What do you think.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Gold Member

Dakota chambers their own rifles with the Dakota line in barrels as short as 23". Is that optimum? Doubt it. It is a potent round though, just brass is a little overpriced imo.