Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.300 WSM Accuracy Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 01:30 AM

.300 WSM Accuracy Problem

I have a winchester model 70 300 WSM. It is just the standard model 70 with a 24 inch barrel and a synthetic stock. I have used some federal premium nosler partition bullets and hand loaded some barnes tsx and ttsx and some nosler accubonds. from these bullets I'm getting like 4"+ groups at 100 yards. I am noticing that when bolting a bullet into the barrel, whether from the magazine or not, it gets most of the way into the barrel smoothly then the case catches the top of the chamber or barrel and I have to almost force it into the barrel. After I shoot the round and eject the case, or just eject the bullet without firing, there is noticeable scratching on the case from when I had to force the bullet in. I dont know if this is causing the inaccuracy or not.

My question is what should I do? Just keep trying different ammo or have something done to the gun? Should I have a gun smith check out why I am having to force the bullet into the barrel and what is causing the scuffs? I am on a limited budget so I'm looking for the best, cheapest fix to this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .300 WSM Accuracy Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda2631 View Post
I have a winchester model 70 300 WSM. It is just the standard model 70 with a 24 inch barrel and a synthetic stock. I have used some federal premium nosler partition bullets and hand loaded some barnes tsx and ttsx and some nosler accubonds. from these bullets I'm getting like 4"+ groups at 100 yards. I am noticing that when bolting a bullet into the barrel, whether from the magazine or not, it gets most of the way into the barrel smoothly then the case catches the top of the chamber or barrel and I have to almost force it into the barrel. After I shoot the round and eject the case, or just eject the bullet without firing, there is noticeable scratching on the case from when I had to force the bullet in. I dont know if this is causing the inaccuracy or not.

My question is what should I do? Just keep trying different ammo or have something done to the gun? Should I have a gun smith check out why I am having to force the bullet into the barrel and what is causing the scuffs? I am on a limited budget so I'm looking for the best, cheapest fix to this problem.

Thanks in advance!
You want to get that to a smith ASAP. You have burr in your chamber causing un-needed pressure. Take it to a smith and have it cleaned up. You should never have to force a bolt shut. I had a similar problem with mine when the chamber was initially cut. I could feed, but they would stick every time I tried to eject the fired round. I think once you get that removed you will be able to tighten up your groupings.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

I agree with liltank. You definitely need to have the chambered checked and honed to eliminate any burring or eccentricity. You could send it back to Winchester, and they would probably take care of it, but that would take weeks typically. You may want to also recheck your reloading process. If you have not fully sized-resized the cases and trimmed them to length you can get similar results. Don't rule out that you have an eccentric (not true die) causing your cases to be out of round. if you have access to another 300 WSM try a dummie round or two in that chamber to see if your cases are true.
Dano
Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 PM

ok thank you both! about the scuffing and forcing into the barrel, it is doing that with factory and reloads. here are some pictures

Here is the rifle:

Here is where the round gets "stuck" and i have to force it into the barrel:

This is a close up of the action:

And this is the round after i take it out (note this is a federal factory load, not a hand load):

Last edited by jda2631; 03-08-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Silver Member

I agree he should get it fixed, but shouldn't it be Winchester's problem? Why should he have to pay a gunsmith to fix it?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Definitely a burr somewhere. I would have them look at the mag and make sure it is feeding out okay. You could send it back to Winchester and they will probably make it right, but you will get stuck with the shipping cost to Winchester and who knows how long it will be until it returns. Using a smith will help ensure it is fixed correctly, and if there are any further related problems, you can just go back.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Definitely a burr somewhere. I would have them look at the mag and make sure it is feeding out okay. You could send it back to Winchester and they will probably make it right, but you will get stuck with the shipping cost to Winchester and who knows how long it will be until it returns. Using a smith will help ensure it is fixed correctly, and if there are any further related problems, you can just go back.

Tank
Good point, having the smith do it may be cheaper than the shipping. That sucks, you have to put money into the gun, just to make the gun like it should have been out of the factory. Aftermarket barrel?