Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 WM.. what is the farthest....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2002, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 WM.. what is the farthest....

Well, if you're like me and always in search of more horsepower (those that aren't are usually perfectly happy with the 30-06) go for the RUM.

If you settle for less, eventually you'll want more--like me, I'm having my A-Bolt in 300 Win rechambered to RUM.

As Darryl mentioned, this is assuming you aren't already planning on a big, expensive custom action. In that case, the bigger the better!

But like he said, after the RUM the costs go way up. I'm having my 300 Win rechambered for about $110. Not bad for an instant 25% increase in powder capacity. The 300 Tomahawk will work in all the same actions but might be a bit more expensive depending upon your gunsmith. Mine didn't have a RUM reamer but he bought one at no cost to me since he knows he'll get a lot of use out of it--he wouldn't have done the same for the Tomahawk. If you aren't worried about that and don't mind fireforming cases, the Tomahawk should show a slight advantage. I'm thinking that's probably as much powder as you can possibly (also easily and cheaply) stuff into a standard sized action.

Hopefully Norma will start making brass soon. Let's keep pestering them! Since Federal already sells loaded ammo, I figure it's only a matter of time before they offer brass.

Accuracy-wise, I think it comes down to how much you spend on your rifle and your reloading skills. Headspacing on the shoulder is supposedly "inherently" more accurate but I'm not sure if this actually shows up until after you've spent tons on the rifle or not. Maybe somebody else knows better.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 WM.. what is the farthest....

I ran my RUM up to 3100fps with the 220's in a 26" barrel.The load I use give's me 3026 in cold weather.It now wear's a 36" tube.And I will add 25fps per inch.Am I on track here?With that it should give me somewhere around 3275.Your 30-378 if it had a 36" barrel would give you about 3325 on the low end.That's still only 50fps.I have no idea what my gun will do yet.Different chamber' action ect..I am just going by the 25fps rule I hear everyone talking about.Am I even in the ballpark here?I am gonna be shooting 240's anyway so even if I was right it would'nt matter.Darryl ?.In the picture of your spot how far is the shooting.Shortest to longest?