Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 winmag vs 7mm mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 winmag vs 7mm mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpro440 View Post
Guys , no disrespect intended but you all aree that you can send the .30 cal bullet down range a little better to do the job at hand with the right bullet than the 7 . The 30 cal has more choices of bullets at hand for each needed situation. The 30 bullets are readily available most places and factory loaded ammunition too. This is personal preference also , I would rather have a bigger bullet hit the target for a quicker clean kill, I have 300win 300wsm and a 7 rem meg and I cant tell the difference at short range but when I hit the animals with the .30 cal bullet at long range it makes a bigger hole and quicker kill with more energy . If your dialing up an know the range what does Bc matter? So the 30 takes care of the task at hand, Bigger is better most times an this is one of them.
Not really I never seen an animal say "oh your just shootin a 7mag pfft wut ever" then turn around to your buddy and say "oh well! you sir are shoot a 300 mag well in that case let me just go ahead and lay down for ya" putting the bullet where it needs to go is what gets the job done period, unless you want to step up to a monster like the 510 AM, bigger isn't going to kill better than bullet placement. Like I said both cartridges are so close in performance your best bet is in the gun and how well you shoot it. The trade off between the 2 is 7 has less recoil 300 has likely slightly better barrel life. My experience with each is that I can do 30-40 rounds in one trip to the range with a 7mag and a little less with a 300Win. But that's about all I can do with my 270 also. Which also kills em just as dead as anything else just not as far away.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

You guys must want to argue. The original post was from July 2009. The guy has probably "picked" a caliber by now. LOL. JohnnyK.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk View Post
You guys must want to argue. The original post was from July 2009. The guy has probably "picked" a caliber by now. LOL. JohnnyK.
doh :P
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Bronze Member

I know this is an old thread but I ran across it and thought I would put in my 2 cents, there are very large differences between these to cases and what they will do, bullet weights being equal the 7mm mag have the advantage due to their inherently high bc bullets for long range say past 5-600 yards even when comparing bullets of different weights between the 2 you still end up with the bc being higher for the 7mm line than the 30 cal. for example, a 180 grain swampworks bullet has a bc of .735 while their 210 gr 30 cal bullets have a bc of .665 so depending on your intended range of use will dictate which caliber would be best suited for the job. On the flip side of this the 300 win mag has it's advantages as well, a fair abundance of good factory match ammo is available should you ever find yourself in a pinch and need ammo right then, federal and black hills 190gr match come to mind. And the last and probably the biggest deciding factor in this whole debate for most people is barrel life, for a 7mm mag you'll be looking at between probably 900-1400 rounds of peak accuracy from the barrel before it begins to go south, with the 300 win mag you would likely make it to 2000 or more rounds, this is due to the bore to case volume capacity, mind you it sounds like a lot of rounds but in the off season there will likely be a lot or practicing going on and honing your skills at long ranges so there will be quite a few rounds down the tube and if you aren't very well off and don't want to send your gun to the smith very often to have a new barrel installed then this would be something to keep in mind.