Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 win mag and shoulder trauma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 300 win mag and shoulder trauma

I suggest a good recoil pad such as a Limbsaver or equivalent. They make a lot of difference.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

Regardless of using a brake or not your worrying about hearing loss and shooting without protection in the field is counterproductive. Sure the brake is louder but all firearms are too loud to shoot without protection and will add to hearing loss. It is cumulative, EVERY time you subject your ears to loud noises you are damaging your hearing, period. There are a variety of devices available that allow you to hear normally but block loud noises which would allow you to hunt with protection. Hope you take this information kindly as I am trying to help.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicmotors View Post
I am not real excited about muzzle brakes because of the increased noise. I already have some hearing loss and want to keep what I have left , probably will not have hearing protectors on in the field.
You can unthread the brake from the barrel after you go to the range. If you have never shot a gunwith bad recoil then put a brake on it, you should try it. My 300 rum was unbearable after 2 shots. I put a brake on it and it shoots less than my 708. Some brakes come threaded in a way you can take them of in the field and then put a cap over the exposed threads. Look into the Vias brakes as they are supposed you be less noisy.

I also carry ear plugs on a string around many neck when I'm in the field. I have used them when I have the time. When I hunt elk, I usually do have the time to put the plugs in.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies. You have given me some things to think about.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

My Browning A-Bolt 7mm Rem Mag with BOSS kicks like a .243. Breaks really do work.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Bronze Member

I put together a 300WM from a Savage 110 and i think a 112 barrel? 26" fluted.
with the suppressor mounted its like shooting a bolt 223. I let the girls shoot it all the time.

Not sure if you wanna spend that kinda money tho?!?
Pretty quiet and very little recoil.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieselman View Post
I put together a 300WM from a Savage 110 and i think a 112 barrel? 26" fluted.
with the suppressor mounted its like shooting a bolt 223. I let the girls shoot it all the time.

Not sure if you wanna spend that kinda money tho?!?
Pretty quiet and very little recoil.
I never even thought of that as and option. That would be the way to go for sure.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!