Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 win mag bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM

300 win mag bullet

I have been shooting sierra game king with 1/2'' groups. retrieved bullet from elk with complete jacket core separation. would like one that shoots that good plus holds together. gun is off the shelf rem 700 stainless
Old 01-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 win mag bullet

If you retrieved the bullet ,I am lead to believe, dead bull. Why switch ,if it aint broke don't fix it. IMHO
Old 01-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

The 200 grain Nosler Accubond.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Some things one needs to consider, to get an accurate answer to this question is, how far are your average shots? The same bullet may or may not hold together at a longer distance, or simply using a heavier offering of the Sierra may also do it.

So what weight did you shoot and how far?

Also as far as will another bullet shoot 1/2" in your rifle? That will be an educated guess at best. Each rifle tends to have different cravings for bullet type and design. But we can offer what works in our rifles to give an idea of what to expect. My main hunting rifle is a 300 win.

I understand your preferences. Even though mine differ a little. I use fragmenting bullets for elk and take several each year. Under 500 yards they do not usually exit. Instead they expel all of their energy in the animal as they fragment, produce a large wound channel, and damage vital organs. Yet at longer distances with slowed impact velocities they expand less and usually exit. A harder bullet will usually not expand as much at long range and depending on cercumstances this could be a problem with terminal performance as well.

You are probably going to want to go to a bonded core bullet to keep the back 1/2 in tact. But first lets hear what weight you are currently shooting and the distance of that shot. Also what your longest perceived shot would be.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 PM

:D:)lightbulb:cool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Some things one needs to consider, to get an accurate answer to this question is, how far are your average shots? The same bullet may or may not hold together at a longer distance, or simply using a heavier offering of the Sierra may also do it.

So what weight did you shoot and how far?

Also as far as will another bullet shoot 1/2" in your rifle? That will be an educated guess at best. Each rifle tends to have different cravings for bullet type and design. But we can offer what works in our rifles to give an idea of what to expect. My main hunting rifle is a 300 win.

I understand your preferences. Even though mine differ a little. I use fragmenting bullets for elk and take several each year. Under 500 yards they do not usually exit. Instead they expel all of their energy in the animal as they fragment, produce a large wound channel, and damage vital organs. Yet at longer distances with slowed impact velocities they expand less and usually exit. A harder bullet will usually not expand as much at long range and depending on cercumstances this could be a problem with terminal performance as well.

You are probably going to want to go to a bonded core bullet to keep the back 1/2 in tact. But first lets hear what weight you are currently shooting and the distance of that shot. Also what your longest perceived shot would be.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logguy View Post
I have been shooting sierra game king with 1/2'' groups. retrieved bullet from elk with complete jacket core separation. would like one that shoots that good plus holds together. gun is off the shelf rem 700

stainless

180 grn bullet @ 380 yards, down hill- spine and off side lung. looking for accuracy suggestions so maybe won't have to try so many to find a good load
Old 01-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Nosler accubond.