Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 Win Mag

when you flute a barrel, you've just reduced its strength. Period.

John Burns, you're wrong. Shorter, stiffer barrels are more accurate than longer, whippier barrels.

And the only reason to flute a barrel would be for weight reduction. Any so-called gain in cooling potential would be virtually unmeasurable.

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited by: Nate Haler ]

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited by: Nate Haler ]

Old 04-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Bronze Member

Nate,

I have measured the cooling effect on gun barrels that were fluted and not fluted and I know there is a difference. We use an oven to heat barrels and actions to 300 degs to cure finishes and I can absolutely tell you a fluted barrel will cool about twice as fast.

As to the barrel issue I base my opinion on real scientific data gathered by Harold Vaughn and presented in his book “Rifle Accuracy Facts”. Harold used an accelerometer on the muzzle to MEASURE barrel vibration and goes into great detail on cause and effect. I have spoken to Harold and believe his data is absolutely correct. If you have access to some other real data concerning barrel vibration please let me know, as I would be very interested.

A way to better understand barrel vibration is to think of spaghetti noodles. It is easy to make an uncooked noodle vibrate but very difficult with one that has been cooked.

With steel gun barrels it is not possible to reduce the rigidity without reducing the strength so we are stuck on that account but any weight we can add, especially to the muzzle will reduce barrel vibration.

Barrel vibration is a sine wave that starts at the action between the locking lugs and the recoil lug. The “stiffer” and lighter your barrel is the faster the wave will travel down the barrel and the more your muzzle will move. This is why the carbon wrapped barrels are a step in the wrong direction.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Gold Member

I will get to the point on this about fluted and not fluted I want someone to try tell me that a Barrel that isnt fluted will shoot better than a fluted barrel of the same contour because I would like to see it. If that is the case somebody better call Weatherby about their Accumark and Remington about the Sendero and let them know a fluted barrel will not shoot. As for a fluted barrel cooling faster yes it will science has proven more surface metal in contact with air will cool down faster that is why engines have cooling fins.

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited by: dakor ]
Old 04-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Years of prairie doggin have taught us that a flutted barrel WILL cool faster than a solid...provided they are both put in the shade with the chambers open [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Coarse if your not prairie doggin the flutting may a waste of funds.
Have had a 300Winmag for six months now and still havent fired it,thats just plain wrong [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited by: Mach V ]
Old 04-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Bronze Member

Different style of flutes are better at cooling. The typical 6 flutes with a 1/8th radius cutter does increase surface area but by going to a .062 radius cutter and doing 12 or more flutes the same weight reduction will give twice as much surface area gain and help cooling even more. Looks cooler too.

Again for me the gain is in getting more shooting done in a limited amount of practice time.

Mach V,

I heard a new gun will "Go Bad" or spoil in situaions like that, kinda like milk if you don't drink it. Get out and shoot that thing before something horrible happens.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

ok so flutes cool faster and they reduce weight. But which is more accurate? (Fluted or not fluted)

[ 04-03-2004: Message edited by: trader388 ]
Old 04-03-2004, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

The one that shoots the smallest groups [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Dont realy mean to be a smarta$$ but every barrel is an idividual.