Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 Win Mag

Hey Bounty Hunter, fluting is also done because it reduces "cooling time."
Old 03-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Nighthawk

Yes, I am aware that fluting can be done to reduce cooling time. That is why I said "mostly". However, that is not really practical reason for fluting on most guns. If you shoot a magnum to get it hot, there probably is not a measurable difference on drops in temp over time to allow it to cool. You lose weight and rigidity of the barrel when fluting, not to mention if the guy doing it does not do it right, they can induce heat related warping in the barrel.

Lot of trade offs, so make sure you know what the pluses and minuses are before just jumping out there.

BH
Old 03-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

BH,

Do you believe you actually loose rigidity?

I believe you retain the rigidity of the original diameter bbl, but now weighs as much as a smaller diameter bbl, and also cools like an even larger diameter bbl.

Done right and cryoed, I don't see a problem, and possibly it would be an advantage in some applications, then there's the "cool" factor. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

One of the best riles I had (gave to my nephew last year)was a fluted Lilja 300 win mag. I do like the fluting as gives just alittle more cooling surface. I also found with the longer barrels say 26"/28" you don't get that heavy muzzle feeling. Well good luck!
Old 03-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Gold Member

Well I talked to Lilja Fluting has all +'s in my book.
1. It Relieves stress in the barrel.
2. Stiffens the Barrel.
3. Takes about a pound of weight off.
4. Better cooling time.
Only - is the price but you get what you pay for. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] As for the 300 weatherby yes it does kick more than a 300 Win I have shot one. If I went down that road then I would build a 338 Lapua. Anyone shot one of those? If you have how was the recoil?

[ 03-25-2004: Message edited by: dakor ]
Old 03-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Brent

go to Dan Liljas website and he has a downloadable program on barrel rigidity. This topic has been beat to death on BR central and other places over the years and it is well documented that fluting will cause you to loose rigidity as compared to the same barrel weight/diameter non fluted. Where people get confused is they try to compare a fluted barrel of x weight to an unfluted barrel of the same weight. The comparision has to be made against the original weight of the fluted barrel for a rigidity comparison.

As for the plus of additional cooling factor, seen several threads from people who actually computed the "increase" in surface area and it is minimal, hard to see how it gives you a significant increase in barrel cooling, particularily when talking about magnums and the heat they generate.

Flutes can save weight and look good, but other than that not sure they are worth the money.

BH
Old 03-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Dakor,
here's my take on flutting, it makes a barrel more ridged then one of similar weight, but if you compare the barrel to one of same size nonflutted, the non flutted barrel is more ridged, the flutting machine can also screw up internal dimensions of the barrel if done after the rifleing has been cut,as for cooling better results can be obtained by beadblasting with a aluminum oxide, beadblasting adds about 2.5x cooling surface, and the aluminum will help cool even more because of low specific heat.