Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Bronze Member

300 Win Mag

My father and I are interested in purchasing a 300 Win Mag. I have heard good things bout the Savage LRH 111 but I have also heard terrible things about this gun. Savage not backing the product after it shooting horrible groups, etc. What would you guys recommend for a 300 Win Mag?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 Win Mag

Remington 700 Sendero SFII .300 WinMag, or Remington 700 5R MilSpec 26" .300 WinMag.

In my opinion, the best 2 factory rifles on the market for under $1,500.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

jdk81 where did you hear about the 111 LRH shooting bad groups? My step father is having issues with his and I would like to look into it. I went with the Savage 110 FCP and have a 5 shot group under MOA at 100 yds.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Bronze Member

I read about the Savage rifle on a thread on this forum. Found it via a google search.

Is there anything that would need done with either of the Remington rifles? Along the lines of different stock, barrel or anything along those lines?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk81 View Post
I read about the Savage rifle on a thread on this forum. Found it via a google search.

Is there anything that would need done with either of the Remington rifles? Along the lines of different stock, barrel or anything along those lines?
No, both of those models come from the factory with $400-500 HS Precision stocks on them, that have the aluminum bed block in them.

There is 2 things you would need to do with either of the Remingtons.....1) put a good scope, rings, and base on them, and 2) buy good ammo or work up a handload if you load your own.

Those 2 models of 700 rifles need nothing done. Worst case scenario you might have to bed the recoil lug which takes 15 minutes to do, and let it dry overnight... Not a big deal at all.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

Well I sure wish I had ~$2000 to get the gun and good optics!

By the way, what would you guys consider good optics? I figure something NightForce maybe? What price range should I keep an eye out for?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Best 2 scopes for the money...

Vortex Viper HS Long Range Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus

Zeiss MC Conquest Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Side Focus Target Turrets

Quote: