close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 weatherby vs 300 remington ultra mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 weatherby vs 300 remington ultra mag

remingtonman_25_06

I'll take the 300 RUM too!

Unread 04-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Bronze Member

Wow, where do you start.

It's not a headspace problem, its a matter of freebore.

Most people in this neck of the woods reload making bullet choice a moot subject. Some Weatherbys have a problem grouping boattail based bullets.

A 1 1/2" group guarantees is a joke. I've seen quite a few ultras cut that group in half, with a factory barrel.

You have a Krieger Criterion barrel, not their flagship cut rifled barrel. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Hate to burst your bubble, the Weatherby action isn't stronger than the Remington. Try to get all 9 of those lugs bearing at the same time.

I had a Weatherby and a Ultra, still have the Ultra. Best thing about the Weatherby was it"s trade-in value. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 04-26-2004: Message edited by: AJ300MAG ]
Unread 04-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

I think the ultra's one big problem is recoil. I can stand the recoil of the weatherby without a brake, but the ultra was just a bit too much.
Unread 04-26-2004, 03:43 PM

Of the mark a little, but! I puchased a Rem. Classic in 300Wth. ...If you bed the action , the first 2 inches after the locking lug and put a 2inch bed 2 inches down from the for end...The rifle will shoot 3/8ths at a 100, 2 shots...Factory 150gr. Weth...Hell on deer!
Unread 04-26-2004, 07:36 PM

I agree that the 1-1/2" gaurantee is a joke because the Wby's can do that anyday. So why does Wby do it and Remington doesn't. Maybe quality control problems ? Do a search for Remington quality problems. Its not pretty.

As far as remingtonmans comments go, don't we all know that you can work up a hand load thats more accurate than factory loads ? I saw a stock vs stock comparison not a stock Wby vs a RUM handload. How well so you think the Wby with a handloaded 200 grain Accubond will do ? What are your other mods to your Remington to get it to shoot ? My Wby is stock with no mods and it shoots well. I have read and re-read the headspace issue starting with this site. If the gun shoots well - who cares ?

You are smart enough to know that 1 observation doesn't mean its an average. ? So what are you basing your conclusions on ? Statistically speaking, we don't have enough data to make a strong conclusion so all I can go on is what I have seen.

FYI I have Remington rifles and they are ok but not worth bragging about. I have a friend with a Rem 700 in 300 Win mag and its got a bedding problem (at least thats what I think it is) If you make sure the barrel is cold between shots, the groups are good. But a quick 2nd shot hits 2 inches higher at 100 yards. Anybody have advice on this problem. My Wby doesn't do this.

Im not on here to start a ******* contest either just trying to learn something new and enjoy the shooting sport. The only reason I wrote on here is because the guy who asked the question wasn't getting any positive feedback on the Wby which is a good gun in my experience. Its like the Ford vs Chevy debate - nobody is going to change their mind.
Unread 04-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Bronze Member

Kid, I've seen three different 700BDL's shoot under 3/4MOA at 300 yards with factory 180gr Partitions. As far as quality problems, I've bought a few rem rifles (more than I'd care to admit in case my wife is reading this [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) recently. None show any of the quality issues that have been discussed. Look at the number of rifles being produced by either company. You might be surprised at the statistics on a percentage basis. For the money, the remington is of better value. Same bullet, same speed, ya think the animal will know the difference which rifle was used. Spend the money you saved buying the rem and put it into first class optics.
Unread 04-27-2004, 03:06 AM
Platinum Member

My rifle is completely stock except for trigger work down to 2 3/4 lbs. Not even a muzzle brake. I'm 18, 6'2 and 140 lbs. I did my research on the 300 RUM before I went out and bought one. Main thing to me was recoil. The most I was use to was my .300 Win Mag. That was about my upper limit. I opted to go for the laminated version to help soak up the recoil of the 300 RUM. I can sit down at the bench and shoot 20 rounds in an orderly fasion with no more than a sweatshirt with no problem. The 2nd concern was accuracy. I read a lot on accuracy about the cartridge and I could not believe the groups people were getting with such a hard kicking gun. I also own a .222 Rem in an older 700 ADL. With my pet loads, it has shot in the .1's at 100 yards many upon many of times. I bought the gun used from an older guy who gave up varminting. Only thing I did was clean the barrel real good and give it a trigger job down to 2lbs and thats that. I use to be a Ruger fan personally, untill I got my hands on my 2 Remingtons. Nothing shoots better in my house than these Remingtons. My uncle has several Rem 700's in 30-06 and 300 Win Mags. I load for one of the 300 WM's and it shoots the 180g b-tip into 1/2"-3/4" at 3150fps. Every Remington I have shot and loaded for did under 1 inch easily at 100 yards with very very little load developing. With this kind of performance from all the Remingtons I've seen and shot, I dont see any reason why to spend all that extra money on a Weatherby.

I only bought 1 box of factory shells for my 300 RUM. I bought the 180g Partitions. Quick break in barrel process and brass was all I needed. However I did chronograph a couple and they were going 3250fps and they were grouping 1 inch at 100 yards. Not to bad for factory and cleaning inbetween every shot.