Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 weatherby build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 12:45 AM
Silver Member

300 weatherby build

I have a Winchester model 70 classic sporter chambered in 300wby I got in 1998. I am planning on going with an hs precision stock, bedding the recoil lug and throwing a 4-16x50 vortex viper hs lr on it. I'm building this for hunting purposes expecting to shoot either the 190 lr accubond or the tipped tsx. Is it realistic to hope to stretch this thing out to 800-1000yds if needed? Is there anything else I could do to improve the rifle?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 AM

Re: 300 weatherby build

Trigger and a muzzle break. Some people can handle recoil better than others but the .300wby is a sharp hit. If the gun is capable of sub moa accuracy, it is only warming up at a 1000. I shoot 180 ttsx for hunting but the gun really shines with 200+ gr bullets. I think there is an accubond that is heavier than 190 that could generate good results in both hunting and lr.
If you start to get recoil shy without a break, hitting at long range will be tough.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

How does the rifle shoot in it's current configuration?

Is is bedded? Floated? Pillars installed in the current stock?

If it's already a shooter, and the new stock is properly prepared and everything is installed properly you can only expect it to get better.

If however there are issues with the barreled action which make it inherently inaccurate then nothing short of truing the action and installing a new barrel is going to make it a shooter.

Before investing in a new, high quality stock I'd do all of the above to the existing set up to see what it's capable of, otherwise it can get very expensive and very disappointing.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
How does the rifle shoot in it's current configuration?

Is is bedded? Floated? Pillars installed in the current stock?

If it's already a shooter, and the new stock is properly prepared and everything is installed properly you can only expect it to get better.

If however there are issues with the barreled action which make it inherently inaccurate then nothing short of truing the action and installing a new barrel is going to make it a shooter.

Before investing in a new, high quality stock I'd do all of the above to the existing set up to see what it's capable of, otherwise it can get very expensive and very disappointing.
What he said ^^^^. Make sure it can shoot.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

It's a 1" at 100yd rifle now. And that's with $hitty optics and a quick hand load. I'm currently shooting a 180gr hornady and can punch milk hugs to 400yds. The wood stock has been fully glass bedded and it has a break on it now. I don't shoot much so I'm sure some trigger time will tighten things up too. What trigger setups do you recommend?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotelite View Post
It's a 1" at 100yd rifle now. And that's with $hitty optics and a quick hand load. I'm currently shooting a 180gr hornady and can punch milk hugs to 400yds. The wood stock has been fully glass bedded and it has a break on it now. I don't shoot much so I'm sure some trigger time will tighten things up too. What trigger setups do you recommend?
Sounds like you have a rifle with great potential.

I have never changed the trigger in any of my model 70's. I find with just some honing and lapping and adjustment they are great triggers, especially the new MOA trigger.

The simplest way to do it is to bathe the trigger group and safety in 320gr lapping compound and work the hell out of them for a few hundred cycles.

Then flush it all out and repeat with 800gr.

SILICON CARBIDE ABRASIVE COMPOUND | Brownells

When finished blow it all out with gun scrubber or something similar, lubricate properly and you'll be amazed at how clean and crisp it will be.

In the rare case there's a big burr making it rough that you can't get rid of this way, take it to a gunsmith and ask him to clean it up.

Be sure once you have it adjusted to suit you that you put some locktite or superglue on the adjustment nuts to keep them from walking.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

So I went out and shot today. First 3 shots at 150yds measured 1 1/2". After that it spreads out. 3" was best I could do. Hold was good, shot was good but the groups were not. Does this sound like a stock issue? My uncle glass bedded the full length of the wood stock a few years back so it's not free floated. With the first group being good but the warm barrel throwing flyers it seems like a stock issue. Any ideas?