Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 weatherby Accumark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 12:23 PM

Re: 300 weatherby Accumark

Found out that the Vanguard action is Howa. Google search seems to lead to good reports about them. What do you guys think?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Really like the 300 Weatherby......my Weatherby has been in my family since the Mid 60's. For long range hunting I zero mine 4" high at 100 yards. Only 19" low at 500 yards. Their is only one Weatherby the Mark 5 action made in the USA or Germany by JP Sauer. suggest the MK 5 deluxe or Accumark

My load for years has been:
300 Weatherby

180 Nosler Part or Sierra Pro Hunter 180gr
IMR 7828 @ 85.0
CCI 250 primers
Hornady Brass
3290 FPS in 26"

The 300 weatherby needs a 26" tube to get the Vel. Anything shorter then you just have a 300 Win Mag in performance.

Last edited by alaska; 11-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

alos need to consider a remington sendero(1) . in addition to an accumark(2). howa/vanguard (3). the vanguards do not come with a 26" barrel . accuracy is more important though.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1simplemann View Post
Today I had a good conversation w/ a customer of mine who happens to have a 1000yd range out his back door. He shot .300 Weatherby for 15 yrs. He told me the .300 WBY is a fun caliber to shoot and it is indeed a "meat axe". He also said that although the Accumark is a good hunting rifle but maybe not worth the cash. The Vanguard however is in his opinion an excellant hunting rifle and that he actually prefers that action. I have shouldered the Vanguard and didn't care for the stock. He told me that was a simple fix and showed me a stock that I immediatly liked. His advice was that if I was sold on a .300 then to restock it and I would have one heck of a elk rifle. He also suggested .300 Win Mag as I would have better factor ammo selection w/ only a slight decrease in velocity. Plus cheaper to shoot.
The Vangard is a bit of a crap shoot. Most of them will shoot decently but not even in the same league with the Accumark.

If you can find one in a 300wm it would be ideal for your application. Barrel life will be better than with the 7mm Wby and once you get past 600yds the better ballistics of the round become a great advantage.

As for the weight, if it's more than you are comfortable carrying get one of the double shoulder slings, Len Sells them at the LRH store and recommends them highly.

Another rifle that would be great for you to consider is the Remington Sendero in 300wm. There are lots of them around and come in at a much lower price point than the Accumark and they are extremely good shooting rifles. I have one in 300 Rum and it shot Sub MOA for me with both Remington Premier and Federal Factory loads with just a little tuning.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
alos need to consider a remington sendero(1) . in addition to an accumark(2). howa/vanguard (3). the vanguards do not come with a 26" barrel . accuracy is more important though.
Right now I'm not sure which direction I'll go. I've got two close friends who are elk killing machines. I value their opinion. They shoot 7mm RM. I have several customers whoare 1000yd shooters themselves. Both have been all over the world. Very experienced hunters. One shoots 300-378, the other shoots 300 WSM for hunting. Right now I'm weighing the options and the benifits of each. what I need to do is shoot all three. Honestly, the supposed recoil of 300 WBY concerns me alittle. If the gun is unpleasant to shoot then I won't go that route. If it's not too bad then I've got starting point.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

The 300 roy in an accumark mkv is a pretty good rifle. I helped a buddy who doesn't load set one up a couple of years ago. He had the brake on his and it popped off like a 243 when shooting 180's. The rifle tolerated the 180 wby factories, with groups just over moa; it hated the 150 grain factory load though with groups well into the 2-3 moa range.

I think the rifle was begging me to handload for it with 200 grain plus pills but my buddy doesn't want to gear up for loading it.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1simplemann View Post
Right now I'm not sure which direction I'll go. I've got two close friends who are elk killing machines. I value their opinion. They shoot 7mm RM. I have several customers whoare 1000yd shooters themselves. Both have been all over the world. Very experienced hunters. One shoots 300-378, the other shoots 300 WSM for hunting. Right now I'm weighing the options and the benifits of each. what I need to do is shoot all three. Honestly, the supposed recoil of 300 WBY concerns me alittle. If the gun is unpleasant to shoot then I won't go that route. If it's not too bad then I've got starting point.
7mm Wby is great caliber (you can push 180gr bullets just over 3,000 fps), and if you order an Accumark in 7mm Wby with an Accubrake on the end it will kick like a pup. Nothing major at all. Alot of people underestimate the power of the 7mm bullets. They're only 0.024" smaller in diameter than the .30 caliber bullets. But a 180 Berger Hybrid 7mm bullet has the astounding BC (Ballistic Coefficient) of 0.674.

In the end it's your gun and your money...So get what will make you happy. I am just making sure you are aware that 7mm is a VERY effective and efficient caliber.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.