Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.300 Wby help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Bronze Member

.300 Wby help!

I am looking for some help with a rifle that I have had for awhile. Can someone point to a sight or someone who specializes in Weahterby MarkV's? Thanks alot!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:07 AM
Gold Member

Re: .300 Wby help!

if you could be more specific there would be plenty of patrons that could come to you assistant. Also the search is a great feature.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

What type of problems are you having ??
Old 07-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Bronze Member

The rifle is about 15 years old, but has not been shot alot. It has never been as accurate as I thought it should be, 2 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I know there are all kinds of places that do custom work and specialize in Mdl 700 actions, I was just hoping to find someone who specialized in the Weatherby Mark V. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Gold Member

http://www.weatherby.com/support/service_centers.asp
It sounds like a bedding problem
Old 07-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

Has anyone done a darn good barrel cleaning?? Make sure the copper is out of the barrel. Also good scope, mounts that are tight (for sure), action screws properly torqued?
I don't think there is any "secret" to the mark V and your problem beyond this could be found by a good gunsmith.
I'd take it to anyone in your area with a reputation for being able to get bolt actions shooting better.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

There is a reason the Wby MkV is not more popular with accuracy minded gunsmiths, there is only so much you can do with them and at times you will get one that just will not perform as it should.

I personally do not distain the Wby MkV but it is not on my short list of preferred actions that I recommend to my customers for one of my custom rifles.

That said, if the receiver is true and a quality barrel is fitted properly with a correctly dimensioned chamber and throat and everything is sitting in a stress free bedding, they generally shoot extremely well.

First thing I would do it clean the bore as mentioned. This solved 50% of accuracy problems in fires like this.

I mean clean down to bare metal for the full length of the bore, not just the muzzle, just ahead of the throat is a major area of concern with fouling so make sure the entire length of the barrel is clean.

Once it is clean and accuracy is no better then I would start looking into bedding issues and if that does not fix the problem I would recommend either cutting your losses and selling the factory rifle or rebarreling it after being accurized.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com