Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 ultra mag recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Bronze Member

300 ultra mag recoil

I just purchased a Remington Sendero SF2, Nightforce 20MOA Base, Leupold VX3 4.5 - 14 x 50LR, Burris Signature Rings, Harris 6-9" Bipod. I purchased a box of Nosler Custom Grade 200gr Accubond, supposedly chrono's @ 3100 ft/sec. to see how it shoots. I know this is a heavier gun which will help reduce recoil. However, I never shot a 300 ultra mag before.

Can someone give me an idea of the recoil I can expect from this rifle compared to a 12 gauge deer slug? Would it be more, less, or equivalent? Just curious...Comments and advice are much appreciated.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 ultra mag recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by eferry View Post
I just purchased a Remington Sendero SF2, Nightforce 20MOA Base, Leupold VX3 4.5 - 14 x 50LR, Burris Signature Rings, Harris 6-9" Bipod. I purchased a box of Nosler Custom Grade 200gr Accubond, supposedly chrono's @ 3100 ft/sec. to see how it shoots. I know this is a heavier gun which will help reduce recoil. However, I never shot a 300 ultra mag before.

Can someone give me an idea of the recoil I can expect from this rifle compared to a 12 gauge deer slug? Would it be more, less, or equivalent? Just curious...Comments and advice are much appreciated.

With the weight of the Sendero the felt recoil will be about the same as the lighter Slug gun.

Recoil velocity will be less than the shotgun.

You will be fine if the slug gun doesn't bother you.

Make sure that the eye relief of the scope is set at the max power and as far forward as
possible.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Bronze Member

I have pretty much the same setup, only the original SF sendero. Recoil is rough, just depends on how much you can take. I won't brake mine, since I believe a hunting rifle shouldn't require ear plugs. It's still loud, but can't imagine it with a brake with no ear pro. I used the ABs and now use the 208gr AMAX. I can usually get about 20rds down range before I have to call it a day. No experience with slug guns, but it doesn't kick near as bad as my old man's Sako 375H&H. That thing will bring a tear to your eye.(I know, I know, 375 H&H's aren't supposed to kick., however, I've shot unbraked 50BMG's that wouldn't come close to it). Hope this helps. It's a great round!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

If the recoil is to much, which I feel it will be, put a break on it and enjoy the rifle. You will shoot it more accurately when not worried about the recoil.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

To add to my reply, If you don't like muzzle breaks, practice using a lead sled or something
similar and when hunting you won,t notice the recoil,

If it does kick to much for you then I agree that a brake is nessary for best accuracy.

I use a Lead sled (Without any more weight) for big bores without breaks and It tames
them down to a reasonable level . I don't recomend any more weight because it more than
doubles the weight of the rifle and reduces the recoil velocity by as much, And it can be
hard on fine wood stocks. (I have never heard of it breaking a composit or laminate stock
even with added weight.

Brakes can be distracting and some PHs won't allow the use of them because they are there
to back you up and don't like getting slapped by the muzzle flash/blast .

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 11-13-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Gold Member

My first 300 rum was a light wieght REM 700 BDL and the recoil was way to much. to help i put a a Sims recoil pad on it and it help a lot but it was still to much to enjoy shooting the rifle and not develop bad habits from the recoil witch i ended up doing. Once you get a bad habit of flinching cause by the recoil it really hard to brake. You will here guys say they can shoot a 375 h&h all day with out a brake and they can but they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn cause they are getting there buts kicked but hey they look cool and are tough guys right.

Do your self a favor and send it to Shawn Carlock and let him put one of his brakes on it and don't look back. My daughter shoots mine know witch is built just like a sendero and she is 11 and weighs a hole 80#. A good brake is the best money you can spend on a big kicker.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

the ultra mag uses 96 grains of powder. i would not shoot it without a brake.