Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 ultra accuracy problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

300 ultra accuracy problems

built up and 300 Ultra from and 300 SPS . an houge stock with bedding block , Timmy trigger. teflon coated it and installed a muzzel brake . I had it shooting .63 at 100 yards with federal ammo bearclaws ,180 andit shot 180 XXX federals .68 100 yards . I ahve shot 40 target rounds thru the gun . and one deer . It has swarovski 4X12-50 BT scope which has been very accurate to 500 yards . Gun has been cleaned after each time shoot no copper build up in barrel , now my accuracy has went to crap . 1 1/2 " at 100 , also have checked FPS of AMMO and its within 35 FPS . Not sure what happen any help would be greatful . not sure where or what to check next ? any help woudl be appricated .
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 ultra accuracy problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog67 View Post
and it shot 180 XXX federals .68 100 yards . I ahve shot 40 target rounds thru the gun . and one deer . It has swarovski 4X12-50 BT scope which has been very accurate to 500 yards . Gun has been cleaned after each time shoot no copper build up in barrel , now my accuracy has went to crap . 1 1/2 " at 100 , also have checked FPS of AMMO and its within 35 FPS . Not sure what happen any help would be greatful . not sure where or what to check next ? any help woudl be appricated .
This is not common. If XXX is indeed the Barnes tripple X I think you are refering to , it has to have some copper. What you are experiencing is what I have seen with many rifles and solid copper bullets. Especially when there has been a mix of copper jacket bullets too. Your problem is also agrivated by the high velocity of the Rum, meaning they foul worse with solid coppers. I have extensivly tested cleaners for this. I would highly recommend you buy a bottle of BoreTech CU+2 copper solvent. Or you can get by with BoreTech Eliminator too. I believe you have the common build up of copper that is associated with these type bullets. It takes a good cleaner to get it out. Get some Boretech and a nylon brush and start cleaning. It will take a good while to get it all and I think you will be amazed at the blue that will run from your barrel. No substitutes, BoreTech only.

Good luck

Jeff
Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

The Boretech Cu+2 is good and used to be our copper solvent of choice but...then we discovered KG12. Jeff, you've just got to try some to believe the difference. Honestly, KG12 removes copper 10 times faster than Cu+2!!!! I kid you not, it is that good! When I did the review on the KG products line in the magazine, I soaked a BarnesX bullet in all the popular fastest removing copper solvents, and KG12 removed copper 10 times as much copper for an over night soaking than Cu+2. I'll give that article to Len to put on LRH because KG has completely revolutionized our barrel break-ins. One 5 minute soak will remove 99% of the copper out of the worst fouling barrels I've ever encountered, and another 5 mins will get the last bit. No more soaking overnight, etc. This stuff makes doing a break-in on rough factory barrels a reality, whereas with the previous solvents we'd have a quick go, then just resign ourselves to the fact that it would have to be a lifetime of the barrel process, if it ever happened at all. Now on reasonable factory barrels, you can get the copper out while you're loading the next round to shoot, its that quick.
Greg
ps I agree with Jeff though, certainly sounds like a copper fouling problem!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Bronze Member

Might check all your screws on the scope and stock for proper tightness.

Corey
Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Longranger View Post
The Boretech Cu+2 is good and used to be our copper solvent of choice but...then we discovered KG12. Jeff, you've just got to try some to believe the difference. Honestly, KG12 removes copper 10 times faster than Cu+2!!!! I kid you not, it is that good! When I did the review on the KG products line in the magazine, I soaked a BarnesX bullet in all the popular fastest removing copper solvents, and KG12 removed copper 10 times as much copper for an over night soaking than Cu+2. I'll give that article to Len to put on LRH because KG has completely revolutionized our barrel break-ins. One 5 minute soak will remove 99% of the copper out of the worst fouling barrels I've ever encountered, and another 5 mins will get the last bit. No more soaking overnight, etc. This stuff makes doing a break-in on rough factory barrels a reality, whereas with the previous solvents we'd have a quick go, then just resign ourselves to the fact that it would have to be a lifetime of the barrel process, if it ever happened at all. Now on reasonable factory barrels, you can get the copper out while you're loading the next round to shoot, its that quick.
Greg
ps I agree with Jeff though, certainly sounds like a copper fouling problem!

I havnt used the KG12 stuff. BUT does it contain all the stuff that makes all the other solvents smell so bad and can you leave it in your bore overnight with no damage done to the inside of the barrel?

The things that I stated above are why I like to use Boretech CU+2 solvent.

I just looked it up. I guess it does do all that stuff haha. I will have to get a bottle and try it out.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

If every thing is tight(scope mounts,action screws)and you have not nicked the crown,then it's fouling bad!
I use Montana Extreme 50bmg copper remover if I feel like brushing.
If I don't then its Wipe Out Accelerator and Wipe Out over night I dont like KG because it leaves a film in the barrel while you are cleaning and is twice as hard to push the next patch threw. Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

KG12 is not ammonia based, and is said to be harmless to barrels. You never need to soak overnight, as it removes even the most stubborn copper deposits in just a couple of 5 or 10 minute soaking. For 99% of barrels we've worked with in the last 6 months, one 5 minute soaking has removed all copper. We have a bore scope and can tell you exactly what we've been seeing, all copper gone after one 5 minute nylon brushing and soaking. We have only had one barrel that we had to do two 5 minute applications, and that was particularly bad factory barrel.
I cannot tell you just what the active ingredient is, someone else maybe able to do that. I do know as I said that it is 10 times faster at removing copper than Cu+2.
Greg