Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 saum w/rl15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

300 saum w/rl15

Looking for any feedback. I want to use it with 168 NBT. Let me here what you got guys.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

Re: 300 saum w/rl15

I have not used 15. I have used a bunch of R-17 with 165 gr. bullets and found very good speed and great accuracy. I have also used 4007, good results, Varget with 150's good results, 4350, both H & IMR ok results and several others with mixed results.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJAY View Post
I have not used 15. I have used a bunch of R-17 with 165 gr. bullets and found very good speed and great accuracy. I have also used 4007, good results, Varget with 150's good results, 4350, both H & IMR ok results and several others with mixed results.
Okay, thanks, its a start.
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Bronze Member

Tried a lot of powders but after all the experimenting I came running back to good ole' H-4350.... if I could only have one powder for everything from .25 to .338 I would have a hard time finding one better than H-4350!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:13 PM

I lost faith in the RL17 and have recently gone to Viht N540 with the Berger 168 Hybrids. Very good results so far.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 AM
Silver Member

RL15 was my go to powder for several years for cartridges that favored powders with a medium burn rate and the SAUM's fall in that category.

I now use Varget which is similar accuracy and velocity but isn't temperature sensitive.

If temperature sensitivity isn't all that important to you I predict that you'll have excellent results with RL15 in your SAUM.

Just one man's opinion....

Bob
Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDHunter View Post
RL15 was my go to powder for several years for cartridges that favored powders with a medium burn rate and the SAUM's fall in that category.

I now use Varget which is similar accuracy and velocity but isn't temperature sensitive.

If temperature sensitivity isn't all that important to you I predict that you'll have excellent results with RL15 in your SAUM.

Just one man's opinion....

Bob
I prefer RL15 over Varget. I seem to be able to get better results quicker than with Varget. That is all I have used. Thanks for the info.