Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 RUM with 230 OTM's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 300 RUM with 230 OTM's

Kirby,

My rifle is indeed a Remington 700 CDL. I've been wanting to upgrade the stock, a brake, and bottom metal, just wasn't sure if I'd be better off going with a heavier contour barrel and stock at the same time. I measured the barrel at the muzzle, it just barely meets minimum OD dimensions to install a brake (just what I've read). I believe muzzle measures 0.640".

Would installing extended mag box be possible with factory stock or better off getting fiberglass stock and start there?

I know you've seen thousands, your opinion weighs more than mine on performance upgrades.

Thanks for your input! I will keep updating when progress is made

TB
Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastshooter375 View Post
Kirby,

My rifle is indeed a Remington 700 CDL. I've been wanting to upgrade the stock, a brake, and bottom metal, just wasn't sure if I'd be better off going with a heavier contour barrel and stock at the same time. I measured the barrel at the muzzle, it just barely meets minimum OD dimensions to install a brake (just what I've read). I believe muzzle measures 0.640".

Would installing extended mag box be possible with factory stock or better off getting fiberglass stock and start there?

I know you've seen thousands, your opinion weighs more than mine on performance upgrades.

Thanks for your input! I will keep updating when progress is made

TB
Your muzzle diameter is PLENTY large for many of the best brakes on the market including my Small Painkiller and the Holland QD brake.

The wyatts extended mag box can be EASILY installed with your factory stock or custom stock, does not matter much at all.

Stepping up to a larger contour barrel and larger dimensioned stock depends on your purpose and goals for the rifle. If you want a legit +1/2 mile rifle, always a good idea to upgrade stock and barrel but if you do, make sure that you have the receiver fully accurized to get the most out of your investment in a new barrel.

Have fun!! With a good brake on your rifle and nothing else, shooting your RUM will be FUN, not work dealing with the recoil!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

Hmmmm... I may get your "small" Allen muzzle brake for my HS Precicion .300 Win. mag. competition rifle. Its fluted, tapered barrel comes down to exactly 0.75 inches so I guess it would fit well muzzle.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ya it would fit but my Medium PK would also fit and offer abit more recoil control. Just depends on if you want a compact small PK on the end of your muzzle or the wider medium PK.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com