Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 Gr. Berger Hybrid @ 1,930 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Bronze Member

300 Gr. Berger Hybrid @ 1,930 yards

Got to shoot the Berger bullet past 1 mile twice this week, so far.
1st day, the wind was almost nothing. Second day was windy and real switchy. But awesome anyways.

Day 1: took 1 shot to get lined out, went 4' high 4' right. Next 2 hit middle high and low, but on target. Let barrel cool for 5 and settled down, was jacked up on coffee and excited. Next 3 shots hit 24" bull on left side, 4" center to center! I can cover all 3 with the palm of my hand.

Day 2: Wind was NNW from 3-8mph mostly, but, was switchy. About 10 seconds between shifts. Storm a brewin'. Pressure higher than first day and temp. 20* cooler.
Same set up as day 1. 3moa Left and 70 moa elevation. Dumbass did'nt account for pressure and temp. difference.
First 2 shots in the grass, 6' low. Tweeked on the knobs a little then let'er fly.
16 shots on target, 2 in grass and 2 6" from the target on either side.
Shots 14 and 15 are about 5" apart, center bull, can still cover with my palm.

Rifle is 338 Edge, 2,003 rounds down the tube and counting. Still shoots under 1/2 moa @ 100, and does pretty good past 1 mile too.
Also recovered a couple jackets at the base of target.
1,300 fps. and 1,150 ft. lbs. @ impact.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 Gr. Berger Hybrid @ 1,930 yards

Great shooting and nice report!!! Thank you.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the report, canyonman! Good shooting.

Over 2K rounds on that Edge--that's great. Which barrel is that? Cleaning regimen? Barrel treatment?

Keep the reports coming!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

I only clean it when it tells me it needs it. About 200 rounds or so.
I'ts a Pac-nor stainless Super match with a really snug chamber.
I am only loading 89.5 gr. Retumbo for 2,750. Can go a little hotter but my E.S. is 4 fps! Thats for 15 shots.
All the Pac-nor barrels I've owned have lasted 2-3 times more shots than what others running different barrels got.
I don't over clean, I NEVER get them hot! 4 shots max! then cool it off. I use the slowest powder that I can use that gives me the lowest E.S. with acceptable velocity. Velocity won't make you a better shot, only RDR will do that. (rounds down range)...
And I Chryo all my barrels. Some say it's useless some don't. I've been doing it since they invented the idea. Easier cleaning, and accurate longer between cleanings.
I haven't used any treatment yet, but have read a bit on "Gun Juice" and will give it a try on my next barrel.
Whats the velocity with your Lapua and Berger?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Bronze Member

Awesome shooting. That is exciting that you have that many rounds through the edge and it is still working flawlessly. I am currently building a 338 norma mag and I hope I am able to duplicate your results.

Thanks for the write up.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Very nice shooting, 4 in. at 1930 yds, not bad. So two to three mores times the round count from the Pac nor's, have you got to wear an edge barrel out yet if so how many rounds through it.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonman1 View Post
I only clean it when it tells me it needs it. About 200 rounds or so.
I'ts a Pac-nor stainless Super match with a really snug chamber.
I am only loading 89.5 gr. Retumbo for 2,750. Can go a little hotter but my E.S. is 4 fps! Thats for 15 shots.
All the Pac-nor barrels I've owned have lasted 2-3 times more shots than what others running different barrels got.
I don't over clean, I NEVER get them hot! 4 shots max! then cool it off. I use the slowest powder that I can use that gives me the lowest E.S. with acceptable velocity. Velocity won't make you a better shot, only RDR will do that. (rounds down range)...
And I Chryo all my barrels. Some say it's useless some don't. I've been doing it since they invented the idea. Easier cleaning, and accurate longer between cleanings.
I haven't used any treatment yet, but have read a bit on "Gun Juice" and will give it a try on my next barrel.
Whats the velocity with your Lapua and Berger?
Thanks for the info. Very interesting...

I don't have my 338AX yet, although I did get pictures from Kirby the other day nearly fully assembled (needs to add the DE adj. cheekpiece and turn down the medium PK brake to make it a 'slim' model.). Can't wait to get it!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl