Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 or 338

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 or 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepardsonp View Post
Question, could you even get 95g in a .338 LM case with a 300g Berger??
Yes, but at 93 gr in a std LM you are over pressure or very close anyway. My standard load is 92.5 gr and I have 15 firings on the brass. There are plenty of guys shooting 95 or more gr in the 338 Lapua AI's and they get better case life than the 4 or 5 you quoted.

Shawn is building me a LRKM. It will be chambered in his personal version of the 338 LM with a modified case taper and shoulder along with the the Defensive Edge Plus P chamber. So I will be loading well above where I do the standard 338 LM. I have no worries about primer pockets going loose on the Lapua brass.

Jeff
Old 09-03-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Sorry but I disagree, and so does internet pricing at midway on your brass prices.

First the 338 EDGE (338/300 rum) and 338 Lapua are almost identical in ballistics. But it you want to push the 338 LM in Lapua brass you have the option and it will out preform the EDGE by a very small margin. If you load them both to the max load of, lets say 92 gr of H-1000 with a 300 gr bullet the REM brass will start to have loose primer pockets at 3 or 4 firings. However the Lapua brass will be going strong for long after.

I just checked www.midwayusa and the cost of REM 300 RUM brass is $109 per 100. The cost of 338 LM is $280 per 100. So once you have tossed 3 sets of the "less expensive brass" and the LM brass is still going strong the LM has now become the better value. If you take into consideration the brass quality the LM wins hands down. So if you cull 20% of the REM now where are you?

Not sure where you got your info but I can tell you after owning both my statements are correct.

Jeff

References:

Remington Reloading Brass 300 Remington Ultra Mag

Lapua Reloading Brass 338 Lapua Mag Box of 100
How many firings of 338 LM at $2.79/per can you get at max pressure?? I have never shot a .338 LM so i have no idea.

My original point that caused you to disagree was that if you can only get 4 or 5 firings on the $.75 - 1.09/per of the Remington 300 Ultra Brass.

I would think you should be able to get 3x the firings on the 338 LM brass because it is 3x more expensive and no doubt better brass. Is that a correct assumption? If you can't get 3x the firings, then how can you disagree that the Remington Brass isn't more economical to shoot?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yes, but at 93 gr in a std LM you are over pressure or very close anyway. My standard load is 92.5 gr and I have 15 firings on the brass. There are plenty of guys shooting 95 or more gr in the 338 Lapua AI's and they get better case life than the 4 or 5 you quoted.

Shawn is building me a LRKM. It will be chambered in his personal version of the 338 LM with a modified case taper and shoulder along with the the Defensive Edge Plus P chamber. So I will be loading well above where I do the standard 338 LM. I have no worries about primer pockets going loose on the Lapua brass.

Jeff

338 LRKM at 3125fps with the 300 OTM .818 BC man thats going to be hard to beat by a 30 cal what a rig set up, I can here the steel ringing at 3000 yards already
Old 09-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Tejas View Post
How many firings of 338 LM at $2.79/per can you get at max pressure?? I have never shot a .338 LM so i have no idea.

My original point that caused you to disagree was that if you can only get 4 or 5 firings on the $.75 - 1.09/per of the Remington 300 Ultra Brass.

I would think you should be able to get 3x the firings on the 338 LM brass because it is 3x more expensive and no doubt better brass. Is that a correct assumption? If you can't get 3x the firings, then how can you disagree that the Remington Brass isn't more economical to shoot?
I am running my STD .338 LM at max pressure with 300 gr bullets. 1/2 gr more will produce definate ejector marks and firm bolt lift. I have been there a few times. Even by over pressuring the brass I am still on my first 100 pcs of brass. Every one loaded and shot right at max pressure. I have close to 1500 rounds through the rifle. So some of the brass has 15 firings, some 14. All still have consistantly tight primer pockets and accuracy is good as day one, 1/2 moa to 1400 plus yards. I am keeping a close eye on this brass as far as wall thickness. It still has .0005" or less wall variance above the web. It is still going so yes, it will go 3..4.. 5 or more times longer as far as my experience with it.

Running the same load in a 338-300 rum showed me 3 firings or less from REM brass and the primer pocket were already loosening at 2 firings. This is why I disagreed that a Lapua is more costly to shoot. The initial out lay of cash is more. But in the end the Lapua is probably cheaper and you get quality brass to boot. Now the cost to build one will be higher if you intend to use a factory action. But in a full custom they cost the same to build.

I like both of these chamberings and they are very close ballistically. But the myth that it cost more to shoot a 338 LM is simply not true in my world and I have shot both enough to have made up my mind with first hand data.

Jeff
Old 09-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I am running my STD .338 LM at max pressure with 300 gr bullets. 1/2 gr more will produce definate ejector marks and firm bolt lift. I have been there a few times. Even by over pressuring the brass I am still on my first 100 pcs of brass. Every one loaded and shot right at max pressure. I have close to 1500 rounds through the rifle. So some of the brass has 15 firings, some 14. All still have consistantly tight primer pockets and accuracy is good as day one, 1/2 moa to 1400 plus yards. I am keeping a close eye on this brass as far as wall thickness. It still has .0005" or less wall variance above the web. It is still going so yes, it will go 3..4.. 5 or more times longer as far as my experience with it.

Running the same load in a 338-300 rum showed me 3 firings or less from REM brass and the primer pocket were already loosening at 2 firings. This is why I disagreed that a Lapua is more costly to shoot. The initial out lay of cash is more. But in the end the Lapua is probably cheaper and you get quality brass to boot. Now the cost to build one will be higher if you intend to use a factory action. But in a full custom they cost the same to build.

I like both of these chamberings and they are very close ballistically. But the myth that it cost more to shoot a 338 LM is simply not true in my world and I have shot both enough to have made up my mind with first hand data.

Jeff
Wow!! I had no idea Lapua brass would put up with that many firings at max pressure! Very good thread indeed.