Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

300 or 338

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: 300 or 338

Going back to the original post we read the following:

"Will definetly have a muzzle break and be around 9 lb. rifle before scope. I want to enjoy shooting it without taking a beating. I have a .30-06 and 7mm mag so I want something larger pretty much for elk, long range shots, sub 1/2 moa, and just fun.

What caliber is a good balance of recoil and velocity within the caliber range above?"

Let's see: A 9 lb. rifle, doesn't want heavy recoil or take a beating, will handle elk at long range, and good balance of recoil. Yep, sounds like a big 338 to me.

The original post or question was never about which caliber can deliver max energy downrange. Just enough energy to kill elk at LR. My point was that a 300 RUM could do just that with less recoil/energy than the 338's. Hence the "except" comment to point out the unnecessary energy/recoil.

......so to difuse the situation and placate Bravo4 I will conceed the point. I was asserting that the color was beige when in fact it was tan. I must have thought they were the same thing...........only different. :-)
Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 AM
Silver Member

Good thread and points on both fronts, I kind of compromised and am having a 300 Norma built to run the 230 Berger hybrid. I should have it done in a couple of weeks and will post some info when its complete if your interested. I can't find much info on it so if any of you have messed with one I would like to hear about it.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Silver Member

I just wanted to say I like either one and own both. I wouldn't worry about recoil. My 338 Norma with muzzle brake kicks no more than my 300 win mag without muzzle brake. Both are heavy 9+ pound rifle I'll give it that. All I'm saying is if you brake it the recoil isn't much
Old 08-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Just wanted to add my .02
I'm not sure what the weight of a .300 RUM in a sendero but i would say atleast 9 pounds. Now I have a DE break on it and a custom barrel but it's still the sendero contour without the flutes . The break made it a totally different gun to shoot. recoil wise.

I have shot 7mm to 300 winmags since I was 15 years old and they had the little skinny barrels . So I aint recoil scared but I found out that the heavier the better .
A 9 pound .300 RUM without a break loaded close to max on the powder scale (if you shoot from a bench with light clothing will STOMP YOUR GUTS OUT !!!

If I where a betting man I would put money on it that know matter how well you shoot you will shoot better with a .300 RUM Or .338 EDGE/ Lapua Braked than not braked . Just look on this site for example what is all the guys shooting with at 1000 and beyond they are using big calibers packed full of powder and a nice tank style brake ....
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilli2 View Post
I am going to have a new rifle built and am really struggeling on 300 win mag to 338 edge. Somewhere in there is where I want to land but not sure. Will definetly have a muzzle break and be around 9 lb. rifle before scope. I want to enjoy shooting it without taking a beating. I have a .30-06 and 7mm mag so I want something larger pretty much for elk, long range shots, sub 1/2 moa, and just fun.

What caliber is a good balance of recoil and velocity within the caliber range above?

Thanks for the help.
guys around here shoot 300 mag or ultra mag for elk when they go but i prefer the 7mm mag myself
meat head
Old 08-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat head View Post
guys around here shoot 300 mag or ultra mag for elk when they go but i prefer the 7mm mag myself
meat head
Considering the truck loads of Elk taken with the 30-06, 7mm RM and even the .270 win I find it very difficult to justify owning anything larger than the 300 Rum unless one is intent on shooting Elk sized or larger/dangerous game beyond 1,000yds.

Note I own 7mm RM, 7mm STW, 300wm, 300Rum and have shot a lot of critters at long range for a very long time with them all except the Rum which is still a relative newbie in my gun cabinet having only been there for a couple of years now.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Considering the truck loads of Elk taken with the 30-06, 7mm RM and even the .270 win I find it very difficult to justify owning anything larger than the 300 Rum unless one is intent on shooting Elk sized or larger/dangerous game beyond 1,000yds.

Note I own 7mm RM, 7mm STW, 300wm, 300Rum and have shot a lot of critters at long range for a very long time with them all except the Rum which is still a relative newbie in my gun cabinet having only been there for a couple of years now.
I have been going to my hunting club with bigbuck he has been shooting 1000 they just picked the corn now he can get 1445 if i ranged it right,he shoots a 300 ultramag i beleive im working my way up but i dont have a fancy scope just a 3x9x40 charles daily no mill or moa dials, or computer. lol.