Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

30 caliber coyote rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 30 caliber coyote rifle

Killing coyotes doesn't require fragmentation. Unless you order a custom barrel, you are going to have a hard time shooting 80gr bullets that are made in that caliber and which are needed to stretch out the range if there is any wind blowing.

I spent $285 and bought a used Savage 270 Win, then $350 for a 6.5x284 barrel, another $50 for a precision barrel nut and recoil lug, $160 on a hogue stock, that gets us to $845 for a custom rifle. Add $95 for a steel 20moa scope base and $850 for a Viper 6x24 FFP scope and the whole deal is under $1800. No custom gunsmithing either, thus no delay except for waiting on the barrel.

I have Berger 140's and I'm sure it will kill a coyote just fine even at 1200 yards...
Old 06-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005
Why would you want a .308 caliber to shoot coyotes with when there are much more efficient smaller calibers to do so...

The list goes on. Yotes aren't hard to kill with smaller bullets.
MudRunner2005,
You make a valid point and your list of smaller calibers is just as impressive. In this part of Ohio, it's flatter than a road killed squirrel, so good bullet fragmentation is important to avoid skips and ricochets.

The last 22-250 that I owned, I shot a 55gr. V-Max at 3855 f.p.s. and it was extremely accurate. That bullet would fragment on a milkweed stem and I never witnessed it skipping after hitting a varmint.

If I decided to get a little more speed out of a 22-250, I could always have it made into an A.I.

Bowhunter57
Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

If I were you, I'd look into a .257 Roberts AI, if you want a short-action. If you want a long-action, that opens up a broad spectrums of options. The #1 on that list should be the .257 Weatherby Mag.

If you were to shoot either one of those, the 115gr Berger VLD would be the absolute meanest bullet around for it.

No coyote would be limping off after getting smacked by a 115 VDL moving 3,300+ out of a .257 Wby...

Just my thoughts.

I wish I had all those calibers, but I don't. I have had a few smaller calibers in bolt guns, like a Howa 1500 .223, Ruger 77 200th Anniversary heavy-barrel .220 Swift, Rem 700 custom in .22-250, etc... I was simply listing a bunch of calibers that would be good long-range coyote guns.

I love my .257 Wby and take it whitetail hunting on a very regular basis. It is very versatile from anything Antelope sized on down to chucks, prairie dogs, etc...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.