Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

30 cal 197gr GSC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 30 cal 197gr GSC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Why would you want to shoot a non expanding bullet that is specifically not recommended for hunting as a hunting round?

Personally I prefer not watching wounded game run off over the next hill.
The OP doesn't mention if he want's to hunt with them or not. If he does, GS will customize bullets to your spec and I'm sure could turn this bullet into the HV (expanding hunting bullet) version. This bullet requires a twist of 1:8.5 or tighter and less than 1:8 for hunting.

I have very limited experience with GS bullets. I tried the HV 177's in my 300 RUM and could not get them to group less than 1 MOA. That particular chamber and rifle did not like them. Will be trying them again in my new 300 RUM with a Broughton 5C barrel in a couple of weeks.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The OP doesn't mention if he want's to hunt with them or not. If he does, GS will customize bullets to your spec and I'm sure could turn this bullet into the HV (expanding hunting bullet) version. This bullet requires a twist of 1:8.5 or tighter and less than 1:8 for hunting.

I have very limited experience with GS bullets. I tried the HV 177's in my 300 RUM and could not get them to group less than 1 MOA. That particular chamber and rifle did not like them. Will be trying them again in my new 300 RUM with a Broughton 5C barrel in a couple of weeks.
Call me crazy but this is the "Long Range Hunting" forum and the "Hunting Sub Forum".... .
Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Call me crazy but this is the "Long Range Hunting" forum and the "Hunting Sub Forum".... .
No, you're not crazy. You got the forums right. But that doesn't mean the OP is asking about hunting. Maybe he is and maybe he's not.

Either way, instead of just saying, "I prefer not watching wounded game run off over the next hill" I explained to him and anyone else reading how to go about having it made into a "hunting" bullet and my experience with 177 version.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
No, you're not crazy. You got the forums right. But that doesn't mean the OP is asking about hunting. Maybe he is and maybe he's not.

Either way, instead of just saying, "I prefer not watching wounded game run off over the next hill" I explained to him and anyone else reading how to go about having it made into a "hunting" bullet and my experience with 177 version.
How about instead you let him answer the questions posed to him and let me write my own posts?

If your sole desire is to have an inane argument have it with yourself, I'm not interested.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How about instead you let him answer the questions posed to him and let me write my own posts?

If your sole desire is to have an inane argument have it with yourself, I'm not interested.
No offense intended. It is possible to have a discussion without having an "inane" argument and I don't think there was anything inane in what I posted. I have had an interest in GSC bullets for a while and am familiar with the different offerings and thought I could shed some light on the subject.

~ John Quincy Adams