Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

30-06 on Whitetail Deer & Black Bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: 30-06 on Whitetail Deer & Black Bear

...no such thing as "overkill"... unless you're concerned about the pelts... not sure anyone would recommend the 55 grain accelerator or whatever you're referring to... stick with lighter range of tried and proven '06 rounds (but... it would be a great excuse to buy another "coyote" rifle)
Old 10-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info...I did read a posting on another site in regards to the 55gr round, as there was someone who used it, apparently, with the 30-06. For a "real" coyote gun, I'd favor a .223 Winchester Shadow or Stealth, but that's another story...You're right, it is a great excuse for a 'yote gun :]

As for my 30-06, I had planned to use about a 150gr round for the whitetail, and a bit heavier for the black bear, although not a whole lot.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Bronze Member

Why not just one bullet, perhaps a bonded 165gr.? I would think it would do the job well on either species.

Pat S.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

Pat,

What other species are you referring to when talk about the 165gr? Whitetail, black bear? That'd probably be good for all around (save for Grizzly, that is, but there are none here in VA). We do have an elk herd down by the Kentucky border now, actually :] I hope to get in on some of that, too.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Bronze Member

For whitetail and black bear ... "use it." Unless you're going to build specialized loads for each purpose (in which case your gun is always sighted in for the wrong load) just go with a premium 180 grain bullet and go kill stuff. 180 Accubond, maybe.

For coyotes, etc the Accelerator loads might be real good IF they shoot in your gun. Some guns seem to like them. Many very definitely do not. The only way to know is to buy a box and try them.

(I shot 'em in .30-30, maybe '06, not sure, years ago, decided the accuracy sucked and moved on. I didn't realize they were still in production.)
Old 10-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Cool. I'll get a box of 180gr Accubond or what not and load out with that...I have no interest in customizing all of own loads, because like you said, I'd always be sighted for the wrong one. As far as coyotes, it's not really a concern, unless I decide to start selling pelts, then I'll be getting a .223 Winchester. Otherwise, my only concern with the 180gr is ruining the meat on a black bear or whitetail, but, if it's a straight heart or lung shot, that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

30-06 on Whitetail Deer & Black Bear

Good afternoon,

I'm new to the forum here, and my situation is as follows: I'm transporting an older Mauser 30-06 rifle back to my home in VA, and my intent was to use it for whitetail and black bear hunting here in VA. I would have to go down to the national forests here in this state, as that's where the larger tracts of hunting land are. I do believe using the rifle on coyote would be serious overkill, even with a 55gr round or what not.

What do you all think?