Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

3 Coyotes at 1025 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 PM

Re: 3 Coyotes at 1025 yards

Very cool. You should have caught the pups and sold them to pit bull breeders.

Now I understand why John Berns (shooting coyotes at 400 yards) doesn't get instant kills - he hits them in the hind end too.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:20 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I believed that I had hit it in the hind quarter from the way it floundered out of view but it was hard to tell for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't sound like he was making any claim other than he had a good time goofing off and doing a little shooting. Sometimes the story is just there for the stories worth.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for your compliments. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JD,
the bullet I shoot is the 140 grain Berger jammed about .005" into the rifling. It's zipping about 3075 now through my 30.5" barrel.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

I too believe there must be a body to count it as a kill but sometimes you can't get the body out when it falls down a hole or squeezes under a rock.

This yote was shot basically in the last second of daylight and was standing on top of 60 feet of lava and there was no spotter to help me. So yes I believe I hit it, no I don't count it because I can't confirm it hit or miss. If I did hit it, it is dead in that mess of rocks somewhere and if I missed it then I will go back and find it again. After all, I know where it lives!
As buffalobob mentioned, this was a story to show some neat pictures (at least I thought they were neat) that otherwise would have not been seen by anyone but me and to possibly entertain someone for a minute or two. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Goodgrouper,

I enjoyed it the whole thing especially the two miles in the sky part. I knew you had good rifles and could shoot also, but fly too ??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I kinda figure you were at 10K or so above sea lever but right at 0 Feet AGL (above ground level). Whatever, still purty [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Also, I was kinda wishing that were a woof instead of a yote [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2006, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, till I see the brains or body I have to rule a clean miss. I wish I was there ... Better luck next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

consider doing your home work next time before insulting a member of the 2K club.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Insult? Please explain, B1G_BORE.

Consider this. How about I pose beside where my bullet hit the ground and some fresh crap on my 2561 yard digger squirrel I shot last week? I was using SMK's and it just passed through and he made it into his hole to never be seen again. I heard it hit but didn't have any witnesses. The way he jumped, I know he was hit square. Are you going to comment about what a great shot I made?

Around my neck of the woods we don't give credit for a shot like that without brains or a body. Poop and blood don't count. Just keeping it real. Thatís all. No insult was meant nor do I believe Goodgrouper took it as one. A few people were misreading and taking it for a confirmed shot. It was not. He didnít count it as a hit either because he couldnít confirm it. Everyone including myself, appreciated the story and the pictures. I look forward to more of his posts.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.