Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

3 Coyotes at 1025 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

3 Coyotes at 1025 yards

I went on a 4 day, 800 mile chuck scouting adventure this weekend and found a coyote to shoot at. Well, actually there were three coyotes in the same spot (a mom and two pups) but I only got to shoot at two of them.

I was scanning a lava reef for chucks and suddenly found a different colored fuzz ball walking around on the lava. It was a mature coyote and two pups. They were hunting rockchucks in the reef. I quickly got out the rangefinder and beamed them at 1025 give or take a few yards because lava if very hard to get a bounce back reading.

They were intent on the chucks and not on me so I whipped out the good old 6.5-.284 and checked my zero. I leave this gun zeroed at 1000 yards so I chambered a round, checked the wind, and let it loose.

After about a second, the bullet impacted and I saw the coyote whirl around and dump off into the lava. I believed that I had hit it in the hind quarter from the way it floundered out of view but it was hard to tell for sure. I was on my way out to see if I could find which hole it fell into when I scanned the lava again and found two pups standing on the same rock looking down in the direction of their mother. One quickly hopped down into a hole out of view, but the other stood there watching. It was getting dark at this point and I knew if I was going to shoot at this pup then I wasn't going to have time to hike out and find the mother before dark. Oh well, I decided. How often do you get to shoot at two coyotes over 1000 yards?
In went another round and down went the bullet. It impacted right at it's feet and two inches left. The dumb pup just looked at all the black dust swirling around him.

I quickly fired another round as it was almost impossible to see through the scope now and saw it miss the pup's nose by an inch! Dang it! This was too close for comfort and the pup jumped down with it's brother out of view!

I could not get any pics of the mother after I shot at her but I did manage to take a few pics of her through my spotter before the shot.

Here she is:

And another view:

And here is a couple added pics of the country were I lived for a few days. This pic comes from two miles high in the sky:

And here is another view from where I spent a night. It frosted here during the night and there was still snow in places. This place was also loaded with big fat chucks!

It was a fun weekend!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 3 Coyotes at 1025 yards

Congrats on the fine shot!!

Looks like a great place to spend some time unwinding!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Thanks GG, I needed some inspiration to keep going on the load bench. This was perfect! Nice shot!

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

GG,

Congratulations on a fine shot. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story.
What bullet are you using in your 6.5-284?
I picked up a 6.5 JDJ barrel for my contender and have been shooting the 120 gr NBT out to 200 yds.

Regards,

JD338
Old 06-06-2006, 09:05 PM
SPONSOR

Too bad the sun went down on ya!!! Could have dusted those pup as well. While I do appreciate the great pics, I bet next time you'll do a little less shooting w/the camera!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

nice shot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

beautiful country

and loaded w/chucks

what else does a guy need.

thanks for sharing the expirence, i cant wait to get going on my new found addiction-- LRH

www.jglezos@aol.com
Old 06-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Great pictures and a nice story but............(just keepin it real now) where I hunt if we can't produce brains or a body it doesn't count. We ran into this a while back a really nice guy was posing by some blood at long range with a yardage sign. I couldn't score that one either. He did have some other very impressive confirmed kills with it though. Sorry, till I see the brains or body I have to rule a clean miss. I wish I was there I would have went out and helped you look to help you confirm it. Better luck next time.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.