Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

280 Ackley no velocity and accuracty

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 249
280 Ackley no velocity and accuracty

I just built a 280 Ackley with a 26" stainless #7 Douglas 1&9 twist barrel on an old Ruger tang safety with a Boyd laminated stock. My best 5 shot 100yd group, is just fair .965 with 56g H 4831 and 162 Hornandy SST at 2600 fps. If my old chrony is right. I have also tried 139SST and 154SSTs. The 154s will shoot around 1" with 57g. If I up the charge the groups just keep getting bigger the faster I push it with all bullet weights.. I have also tried Imr 4831 and R 22. They do the same the faster it goes the groups get bigger. I have a little over 100 rounds through it so far, doing the old shoot and clean routine. That is another thing, this Douglas barrel is the ruffest barrel I have ever seen. It copper fouls really bad. It looks like it was honed out with 36 grit sand paper. The other day I ran some JB and a little Friz into the barrel to try and smooth it out a little. The Copper fouling does not bother me as bad as not being able to get 2800 to 3000 fps with any kind of accuracty like everyone else seems to be getting. So far I am a little disapointed in this barrel. I would rather have accuracty than speed but I sure was wanting it to be able to shoot a little flatter. On the brite side it is not a barrel burner. I guess it is what it is. Maybe I should try something besides the SSTs.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,358
Re: 280 Ackley no velocity and accuracty

I have a question and a few remedies.

1. Who built it? The post says that you did but I am thinking you sent it to a smith?

2. What work on the gun did the smith do? Did he do all the work including bedding the stock or did you try to do some work on it yourself?

If you had a gunsmith do it and you are not happy with his work, I would call him up and let him know about your concerns. See if he can work on it and see what the deal is.

Chances are that if you sent it to a smith to just get the barrel put on the action and you bedded the stock and other work yourself, then you may have done something incorrectly. I would give it back to the smith and let him know that you are not satisfied with it and ask him to see if he can get it to shoot.

If you put it all together yourself, I would still take it to a smith and see if he can look into it. Can at least have him scope the barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 249
Re: 280 Ackley no velocity and accuracty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
I have a question and a few remedies.

1. Who built it? The post says that you did but I am thinking you sent it to a smith?

2. What work on the gun did the smith do? Did he do all the work including bedding the stock or did you try to do some work on it yourself?

If you had a gunsmith do it and you are not happy with his work, I would call him up and let him know about your concerns. See if he can work on it and see what the deal is.

Chances are that if you sent it to a smith to just get the barrel put on the action and you bedded the stock and other work yourself, then you may have done something incorrectly. I would give it back to the smith and let him know that you are not satisfied with it and ask him to see if he can get it to shoot.

If you put it all together yourself, I would still take it to a smith and see if he can look into it. Can at least have him scope the barrel.
I had a smith that is a good friend of mine install the barrel and chamber it. I installed and bedded it in the stock myself. He has taught me a lot of what I know. This is not my first rifle build.I have bedded 3 other Rugers with no trouble. They are tricky to bed but I am sure that part is done right. My smith lives in Florida and I am in Tennessee so I would have to ship it to him or drive down. I have talked to him and he said to send it down but I still keep fooling with it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 63
Re: 280 Ackley no velocity and accuracy

I suggest that you continue to increase the powder charge .3 to .5 grains at a time until either the group shrinks or you start getting pressure signs. 56 grains of H4831 sounds fairly tame for a .280 AI.

Good luck

Jerry
__________________
Good luck

Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 249
Re: 280 Ackley no velocity and accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry M View Post
I suggest that you continue to increase the powder charge .3 to .5 grains at a time until either the group shrinks or you start getting pressure signs. 56 grains of H4831 sounds fairly tame for a .280 AI.

Good luck

Jerry
I am still working on it but I have increased the load little by little up to 62.5g with the 154s. The groups just got bigger 2 1/4." I have only gone up to 58 g with the 162s. The groups were 1 3/4".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: OK
Posts: 2,145
Re: 280 Ackley no velocity and accuracty

wow your getting sub 1" groups with a douglas!!!

Thats really good
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 249
Re: 280 Ackley no velocity and accuracty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
wow your getting sub 1" groups with a douglas!!!

Thats really good
After inspecting the inside of the barrel it is a wonder it does shoot inside 3". This barrel is really bad.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 280 Ackley no velocity and accuracty
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
velocity D Scott Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 8 08-29-2011 10:43 AM
7-08 velocity ? winmagman Reloading 0 09-09-2010 06:28 PM
Ackley improved or Ackley changed north of 53 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 10 10-19-2008 03:49 PM
Velocity and BC? Exhaust3 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 13 10-08-2005 03:53 PM
6BR velocity Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 0 04-11-2004 07:55 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC