Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

280 Ackley improved or not.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: 280 Ackley improved or not.

Thanks again for all the info. What about barrel length? is a 24in tube to short or is it not long enough? and how many times should I be able to reload the nosler brass? also what do you guys think of accutriggers are they good or should I replace it with higher end trigger(I am building off of a savage action)?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

I personally would go AI, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have had no feeding issues with my 280AI.

If you are a reloader, AI is a minor inconvenience that IMO is worth the little extra velocity (especially with heavier pills). If you intend to shoot factory ammo, my opinion changes and 280 is going to give you more options (and more affordable options as well)
Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

My 280 has a 24" Shilen. If I had done a 280AI, I would have gone 25.5 or 26" I don't know anything about the accutrigger. I'm spoiled with Jewels.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I personally would go AI, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have had no feeding issues with my 280AI.

If you are a reloader, AI is a minor inconvenience that IMO is worth the little extra velocity (especially with heavier pills). If you intend to shoot factory ammo, my opinion changes and 280 is going to give you more options (and more affordable options as well)

I mostly echo this.

Although my main reason for wanting an AI was thats its not something you see everyone carrying.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnTarget View Post
I mostly echo this.

Although my main reason for wanting an AI was thats its not something you see everyone carrying.
I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a consideration with my 280AI. I get a weird kick out of telling my casual hunting buddies I'm shooting 280 Ackley at camp and then watching their reactions. 280 what? There is tangible value there!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one crazy kid View Post
Thanks again for all the info. What about barrel length? is a 24in tube to short or is it not long enough? and how many times should I be able to reload the nosler brass? also what do you guys think of accutriggers are they good or should I replace it with higher end trigger(I am building off of a savage action)?
I'd go with a 26" 1:9 twist barrel for a .280 AI.

You should be able to reload the Nosler brass 10+ times, provided you're not loading them to max loads everytime, in which case, brass-life will suffer.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.