Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

280 Ackley Improved

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 280 Ackley Improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Norma makes Nosler's brass for them. They also make Weatherby's brand bame brass for them, as well.

I've never heard of the Nosler brass having any issues.
Get the Norma. The extra letter stamped on the case-head reduces the strength of the Nosler.

W-e-a-t-h-e-r-b-y, that is just flat out dangerous!

My main point was that I fireform as I am not confident in the Nosler 280AI brass in my "original" chamber for the headspace questions you referenced earlier.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Does that necessarily mean that Norma's brass and the Nosler brass is the same, or could Nosler be requiring its brass be made to different specs in terms of hardness?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

It would be an extra step or 2.... but couldn't you get some lapua 30-06 brass, neck it down and fire form the shoulder? Shooting lapua brass would be worth the extra effort.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

Here's another link with a 280 AI getting 3000 FPS.

280 Ackley Improved Loads for the 160gr. Accubond

Reason fr my interest, is I have an old browning A-bolt in 7MM. I am seriously thinking about turning it into a 280 AI after learning there was now a SAAMI spec for it and Nosler was making brass.

Plus... was at two different sporting stores here in Oregon last week and both stores had 4 or 5 boxes of the Nosler 7mm 180 LRAB's on the shelf. Seems folks around here have no idea what t do with them...
Old 12-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farout View Post
Here's another link with a 280 AI getting 3000 FPS.

280 Ackley Improved Loads for the 160gr. Accubond

Reason fr my interest, is I have an old browning A-bolt in 7MM. I am seriously thinking about turning it into a 280 AI after learning there was now a SAAMI spec for it and Nosler was making brass.

Plus... was at two different sporting stores here in Oregon last week and both stores had 4 or 5 boxes of the Nosler 7mm 180 LRAB's on the shelf. Seems folks around here have no idea what t do with them...
You would have to rebarrel, change the bolt head, and I'd recommend a stock change, as well. I am planning on doing this to my A-Bolt II 7mm RM, as well.

Also, your smith will have to order your bolt head, because the only way Browning will send you one, is if you send in your rifle and have it rebarreled by them...Which I think is retarded. But if your smith is a Browning authorized smith, he can get you one.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Sawyer View Post
It would be an extra step or 2.... but couldn't you get some lapua 30-06 brass, neck it down and fire form the shoulder? Shooting lapua brass would be worth the extra effort.
I believe that 30-06 brass is about 50 thou shorter than 280 brass at the shoulder. I have heard you can form it to 280 by partially necking to 7mm and leaving the rest of the neck at nominal to create a false shoulder to headspace on (crush-fit on the oversize neck).

I have read this works fine, just leaves you with a shorter neck than true 280 brass. I have never done it myself, for as much as I like Lapua brass this seems like a lot of unnecessary brass manipulation. My experience with Norma brass has been good thus far - I don't believe it is to Lapua levels but I prefer it over most of the other brands.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

I use the Nosler brass in my 280AI and have not had any issues. It has been very consistent, very little culling. Also, I have 5 reloads on 1 batch and I have just noticed some of the primer pockets starting to loosen up. I am running 168vld at 2890 with h4831sc and 210m. Could go hotter but accuracy is great where I'm at.