Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.270Wby Conversion to .270WSM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 11:12 PM

Re: .270Wby Conversion to .270WSM

You can rechamber a 270 wby to a 270 wsm. You would have to set the barrel back since the wby case is longer than the wsm. Due to the fact that the wsm is fatter and bigger around, the wby chamber would then be cut away when cutting for the wsm chamber.

I am not sure of your exact situation, but the Barnes bullets might be the problem. I would first start trying diff. bullets. Banres may not be the most accurate....but accurate enough for hunting. You say that you are getting .5". What is your ideal group sze? We must remember that guns and people have their limitations. The wby can be accurate, it may be other factors. Like, bedding, trigger, the barrel, the action, etc. By rechambering you may not get what you are wanting. What if you rechamber and then it only gives you a .75" group? It is hard to know, but know when to draw the line. I would work with the wby and check the bedding, trigger, action, etc. Don't forget, some rifles shoot better not being free-floated. Some shoot better with some pressure applied to the barrel. After you have eliminated all of the possible reasons why it is not accurate as you want, go from there.

To answer your question, it is possible to rechamber to a wsm and is probably the least expensive option. Other things to look at are: is it a sporter weight barrel or bull barrel? Who is the maker? Is it a factory or custom barrel? I know that this can get in depth.

Hope I have been of help. Good Hunting!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

I went ahead and updated the post by doing a new one. But my first thoughts were that you would NOT be better off rechambering your existing barrel, in fact, I think it would be more expensive. You can read the new post.

In terms of using the Barnes bullets, I have NO experience with their regular X, however, the new Triple Shock is amazingly accurate. I can group with that bullet just as well as the Nos. B-tip or A max. Try the triple shock in 140 if you want to stick with the Barnes.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Silver Member

Vic
I think you have a reloaing issue rather than needing a new barrel.The area right in front of the belt on the magnum cases never gets resized by factory dies.Most people tighten down there dies hoping to cure this and end up causing headspacing and case seperation issues.If you measure this area it is usually 0.002-0.003 bigger than it needs to be because the factory dies don't touch it.Many 1000 yard shooters myself included build a custom die that holds bushings that only reduces this one spot.The die doesn't have a top it is just a bushing holder and only works for this one area of the case-can't be used to do necks.Today they make a collet die that does the same thing for around $80 a huge savings. www.larrywillis.com
Is the web address for the die.The company is Innovative Technologies and many long range shooters are using them now rather than tossing the cases after 2-3 loadings.You can measure up a couple cases first to see if i'm pointing you in the right direction but your sticky bolt was a dead give away.
Lynn