Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

264 win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 264 win mag

I've always used the mildest primers I could find for both 26 and 30 caliber magnums. Even at 35 degrees F, the RWS5341 primers did wonders for accuracy.

My guess is you'll get no more than 700 rounds of accurate barrel life with a match grade one that'll shoot 1/2 MOA at 600 yards. Barrels with 1 MOA or more accuracy at that range tend to have longer barrel lives. I'm convinced its only the tack driving barrels that seem to wear out the fastest, then when the reach a lower level of accuracy, they stay there for quite some time.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
My guess is you'll get no more than 700 rounds of accurate barrel life with a match grade one that'll shoot 1/2 MOA at 600 yards. Barrels with 1 MOA or more accuracy at that range tend to have longer barrel lives. I'm convinced its only the tack driving barrels that seem to wear out the fastest, then when the reach a lower level of accuracy, they stay there for quite some time.

So if I got 700rnds accuracy of .5 MOA, then I would be able to stay at a 1MOA or less to.... say 1200 to 1500rnds? Can I just use neck sizing bushings to neck down from .308 to .264? Do I have to do any neck trimming? Will I have to do it in 2 steps or can I get away with 1 step?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 12-22-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Bronze Member

I now know why I do mess with these type of websites. Happy shooting to all and never tell someone the good things you do.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanders View Post
I now know why I do mess with these type of websites. Happy shooting to all and never tell someone the good things you do.

I'm not scared to tell you my accomplishments, and I would ask that you share yours. There are just some that feel that their abilities are greater than others. I really don't pay attention if I can help it. You just have to sift through the garbage and find the stuff that is helpful. Don't let the argument bring you down.

Blessings,
Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
So if I got 700rnds accuracy of .5 MOA, then I would be able to stay at a 1MOA or less to.... say 1200 to 1500rnds? Can I just use neck sizing bushings to neck down from .308 to .264? Do I have to do any neck trimming? Will I have to do it in 2 steps or can I get away with 1 step?

Tank
I'd use a 7mm die of some sort to neck a 30 caliber rimless bottleneck case part of the way down to a 6.5mm one. Then use a regular full length sizing die to size the neck down the rest of the way. This two step process ensures the end result has a neck straight with the case.

Resizing fired cases should be done with a full length sizing die with its neck lapped out to a couple thousandths smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter. This typically gives best accuracy and no expander ball's gonna bend the case neck coming back up through it. You'll need to deprime and clean your cases before they're lubed and full length sized, but doing this is worth the effort if best accuracy is your main objective. I've never seen neck sizing shoot as consistantly accurate as full length sizing.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Resizing fired cases should be done with a full length sizing die with its neck lapped out to a couple thousandths smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter. This typically gives best accuracy and no expander ball's gonna bend the case neck coming back up through it. You'll need to deprime and clean your cases before they're lubed and full length sized, but doing this is worth the effort if best accuracy is your main objective. I've never seen neck sizing shoot as consistantly accurate as full length sizing.

Good point!

Tank

Old 12-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

in the very early days of long range deer hunting in north central pa., the 6.5 bullet was very popular. norma had introduced the 139 gr. match bullet in the early 50s and it caught on as being good for long range hunting. alex hoyer of lewistown pa. capitalized on a cartridge design by a shooter in new mexico named wright. i believe paul wright. it was the 300 weatherby case necked down to 6.5 and was known as the 6.5x300 wwh. weatherby, wright, hoyer. it was an awsome cartridge for that time and frankly still is. it was by far the most popular in pa for many years. the 139 gr. norma was illegal for use in pa. due to its attraction to a magnet. when hornady introduced its 7mm 162 gr. match bthp bullet, it spelled the end for the 6.5 x300 in pa. for long range hunting. very few are used today, although it is still an excellant long range cartridge. there are numerous good 6.5 cartridges available today, but i doubt any will ever cause the excitement the 6.5x300wby did. the possible exception being the 6.5x284. in those days there were very few good powder choices. h870 was popular for the large cases. some are still using it. it was a ww2 surplus powder and only recently discontinued. its about as dirty as burning soft coal, and its very affected by cold weather. other than that it works fine but id be trying other powders.