Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.264 win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Re: .264 win mag

To answer your question, a 264 isn't that bad at all. It's got more nuts than a 270 I can tell you that. It's similar to a 7mm. I couldn't compare it with a 6.5-06, I haven't ever shot one.
TO Tom that was hunting for another 264 mag...Remington has brought them back this year in a limited re-production, based on the 700 models. You can get it in nickel or blue with wood and I have seen on synthetic version as well. You can find them on cabella's web site but you have to search a bit for them. I couldn't ever find a price but I have a friend that went to cabellas and ask about them and I think he told me they were about $800. Worth looking into.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:26 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
I'm trying to decide between 264 Win Mag and 6.5-06. Can anyone describe the recoil of the 264 WM with some type of comparison, maybe 270 or whatever to give me an idea of what to expect?
The 264's recoil is more than the 270 but you get use to it after a while. If you have a good rubber pad you wont have any problems, just check the eye relief on the glass that you are going to put on. Very happy with mine.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Bronze Member

99% sure all the new Rem 700 CDLs come with their new R3 recoil pad made by Simms. They will cut felt recoil by 50%, so your 264 should be very manageable.
Duane
Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Silver Member

My brother has dropped a lot of $$ into having a 264 Win Mag built. He had a Rem M700 squared up, blue-printed, lock time tweaked, and a 28" Shilen Match Grade barrel installed (#5 fluted - stainless).

This rifle has proven to be a little more tweaky when it comes to finding just the right load, but once he got there it was shooting in the .3's. I think this behavior has a lot to do with over-bore.

The problem is, these great groups were found using R-P brass. He has been on a all out search for R-P 264 Win Mag Brass and has struck out. The only source we can find is in loaded ammo. Does anyone know of any vendors who might have 100 rds of R-P 264 Win Mag Brass?

There seems to be limited quanties of WW 264 Win Mag brass out there. I have told him to go find some 7mm Rem Mag Federal Gold Match brass, neck it down, and not look back.

I am wondering what others have had success with?

Thanks for the bandwidth,

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 AM

Well I was searching around on the internet, and came across this forum..Was not going to join, BUT a 264 group, love like minded people.

I have been shooting 1 or 2 .264's for 30 years or so. At present I have a pre-64 264 with a original SS barrel, and a custom stock (birds eye maple) with a bullet trap in the stock for 3 more shells.

This has been a love/hate relationship...I hand load, (naturally) and play around with my crono, some years the gun is great, other years trying to keep the groups under 1.5" is just difficult...never have figured it out. I have a high dollar Leika scope sitting on top of it all.

I love pulling out my 264, sort of goes with my 28 ga SS shotgun...it is pretty rare that the average person knows what they are.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Old WAnderer, Welcome aborad!

Just a quick note of interest. My brother who I mentioned above, lives in Bonney Lk too and is a member of Paul Bunyon (spelling error I am sure).
You are in good company here and find a great bunch of guys on this forum.

Regarding that 28ga SxS, I once was offered a Win 21 16ga in mint condition for $1600, unfortunately I "was" one of those people you spoke of and did not snatch it up. Those shotguns in that condition are going for over $10k now. It was a once in a lifetime opprotunity and I have learned from my mistake. I try to make myself feel better by reminding myself by saying, "did I learn anything from that mistake?"

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Just neck down 7 rem mag brass and you can use any brand you like. Same thing/different caliber. I use 140 bergers in mine at .640 bc and it has better down range ballistics than the 7 rem mag or the short mags. To get that bc you have to go up to a 168 or 180 in the 7mm and that case will not shoot those as fast as the 140 grain 264 caliber. The 270 short mag will not outshoot it by 200 fps as earlier stated. I prefer the 264-300 short mag to the 270 version. It is better at long range. The 264 winchester is an excellent round for deer and antelope, but not elk. It will effectively kill elk with a well placed shot but I would get an elk rifle. I leave a few thousanths space in front of the rim and headspace mine off the shoulder then neck size. It seems to perform better that way. Doug Burris took the world record muley at the head of dissapointment creek with this round and he knew what he was doing with his handloaded noslers. It has always been a top western deer/antelope cartridge. You will not be dissapointed with it.