Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

260 Remington OAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 PM

Re: 260 Remington OAL

What would make it obvious that I haven't been reloading? And I have had someone set me up and show me how to reload. I have been loading at 2.800 OAL which is SAAMI standard for 260. Being that I am using 140 A-max bullets I know that I can seat my bullets out further than standard (2.800) and achieve better accuracy. I don't want to invest the money in an OAL gauge so I'm looking here for advice on adjusting my OAL. I have been given some good suggestions and am confirming something I read about seating down until the cartridge stops sticking into the chamber (from the bullet into the lands) by using gravity as a check. My thoughts would be that this would make it further from the lands than ideal, but much better than what I've been doing. At no point have I done anything unsafe on a reloading press, only after I receive information that what I'm doing is correct and safe do I proceed. So if anyone can confirm that my "gravity test" is sufficient that would be great. If not I will try various other methods until I find something consistent.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Gold Member

Re: 260 Remington OAL

I'm having a 260 put together right now and since it's a Remington I know 2.86" is my max magazine length. I will load a dummy round at this length then put in the chamber and close the bolt. When I remove it, I will look for land marks on the bullet. As long as the bullet doesn't stick in the rifling when I remove the case this is where I will start my load development and I know I will not blow up my rifle by being meticulious with my load data.
Never heard of a gravity test so can't comment on that