Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Poll: What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

Reply

260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #372  
Old 04-13-2014, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,140
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
lately, I've been thinking too much as usual <g>! As much as I like the idea of a 6.5x57 AI with 140 grain bullets (2900fps), I think there's more to the equation. Perhaps a .257AI necked up to 6.5, but reamed three millimeters deeper at the shoulder for a total length of 60mm. I honestly believe I could get 6.5-06AI ballistics in a case that would fit inside a standard mag well with a high B/C bullet, and yet not push it way back into the case. I think 3050fps is doable. Dies could be made by simply shortening a basic 6.5-06AI sizer, and running the reamer into a .260 seater. There are really three different 6.5x57 rounds. One is just the basic Mauser 6.5x57. The other is the .257x57 necked up (very slightly different). Then there is the 7mmx57 necked down to 6.5. I like the last one best even though the case capacity is slightly less than the others.
gary
You should read the thread on the 26 Nosler then since that's exactly what it was designed to do.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 04-13-2014, 02:54 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norway, Buskerud
Posts: 385
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
lately, I've been thinking too much as usual <g>! As much as I like the idea of a 6.5x57 AI with 140 grain bullets (2900fps), I think there's more to the equation. Perhaps a .257AI necked up to 6.5, but reamed three millimeters deeper at the shoulder for a total length of 60mm. I honestly believe I could get 6.5-06AI ballistics in a case that would fit inside a standard mag well with a high B/C bullet, and yet not push it way back into the case. I think 3050fps is doable. Dies could be made by simply shortening a basic 6.5-06AI sizer, and running the reamer into a .260 seater. There are really three different 6.5x57 rounds. One is just the basic Mauser 6.5x57. The other is the .257x57 necked up (very slightly different). Then there is the 7mmx57 necked down to 6.5. I like the last one best even though the case capacity is slightly less than the others.
gary
In the case that you would be open for good European constructions I would strongly recommend one of these three:

6,5x65 RWS, a lot of steam and capable of stabilizing heavy bullets due to a fast spin. Absolutely qualified for LRH! Many components to find.
6,5x64 Brenneke, builds on the 270W case, has a modern design and at least (even more) the power than the 6,5x65. Also capable of stabilizing heavy bullets for the purpose of LRH.
6,5x64 Reb, builds also on the 270W case, the most modern design with a 40 degrees shoulder. The case takes a lot of powder, capable of stabilizing heavy bullets and makes this calibre an extraordinary good LR - round.
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 04-13-2014, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,638
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You should read the thread on the 26 Nosler then since that's exactly what it was designed to do.
I for one don't think much of the Nosler round. Big overbore cases eat barrels and rarely group well, are usually much more difficult to develop loads for.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 10-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Not trying to hijack thread, but I had a question. Rich- is anyone making 6.5 Sherman barrels yet, or do we just have to order reamers and go gauges from you? I believe you mentioned somewhere in this thread that Hornady had the specs for the dies? Do you have detailed descriptions of case prep and load workups anywhere?

Thanks,
Jon
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 10-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grantsville Utah
Posts: 3,471
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoNP View Post
Not trying to hijack thread, but I had a question. Rich- is anyone making 6.5 Sherman barrels yet, or do we just have to order reamers and go gauges from you? I believe you mentioned somewhere in this thread that Hornady had the specs for the dies? Do you have detailed descriptions of case prep and load workups anywhere?

Thanks,
Jon
Hi Jon...No one making barrels yet but that may be coming. I now have custom dies in stock cheaper than you could order them and not have to wait for months. I do have some write ups on the cartridge and could send them to you if you can pm me your personal e-mail. The reamer and go gauge are available anytime, as are the dies, so you can turn around your build as fast as your smith can schedule it. With the new reloader 33 powder, we are getting 3100'+ with the 160 Matrix and 3200+ with the 150 in a 26" barrel......Rich
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC