Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Poll: What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

Reply

260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #302  
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,632
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
If you ever were to see my music collection, you probably die in disbliefe! I own about (it's all guess work at this stage) 5500 to 5750 LP's, and about 1200 CD's and a few SACD's and DVD-A's. I listen to pretty much everything except for polka music (guy has gotta draw a line somewhere) . Acoustic jazz is my main passion, but don't think I don't listen to the other stuff as well. Love Russian classical music (discovered it too late in life), and over the last few years have learned to like light Italian opera. Grew up on bluegrass, and discovered Texas swing when I lived in Oklahoma (love Bob Wills and Asleep At The Wheel). But the one thing I discovered from living in Oklahoma was a guy named Merl Haggared. Probably one of the best song writers in country music ever ( I put him right up there with Hubbard). Over the years I've been lucky enough to meet a lot of musicians in jazz, C&W, and bluegrass.
gary
Hard to beat either Haggard or Nelson as far as writing. Both can really tell a story and put it to music.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,576
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Hard to beat either Haggard or Nelson as far as writing. Both can really tell a story and put it to music.
when I lived near Lawton the rock & roll stations played Haggard all the time. Never knew much about him, but liked the words he sang. Then when I went to the combat zone the first cook in the mess hall had a large collection of Haggard's stuff. We listened to it thru every meal! His favorite song was played so much, I still hear it in the back of my head every now and then. TV Fix It Man! Not exactly his best tune.

One thing I kinda find interesting these days is all the following Patsy Cline has with young people. I'm talking about the rock groupies! She was dead before most all of them were born!
gary
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,632
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
when I lived near Lawton the rock & roll stations played Haggard all the time. Never knew much about him, but liked the words he sang. Then when I went to the combat zone the first cook in the mess hall had a large collection of Haggard's stuff. We listened to it thru every meal! His favorite song was played so much, I still hear it in the back of my head every now and then. TV Fix It Man! Not exactly his best tune.

One thing I kinda find interesting these days is all the following Patsy Cline has with young people. I'm talking about the rock groupies! She was dead before most all of them were born!
gary
PC and Marty Robbins have perhaps the two most haunting voices in music history. I don't mean that in a bad way, but their voices are so unique and on the old Analog recordings they are so pure that no matter where you are all you need do is hear a word or two and you know it's Pasty or Marty and you can pick up right there and sing along to the end even if it's tune you haven't heard in years.

Man we're killing this thread HA! My apologies to all.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,576
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
PC and Marty Robbins have perhaps the two most haunting voices in music history. I don't mean that in a bad way, but their voices are so unique and on the old Analog recordings they are so pure that no matter where you are all you need do is hear a word or two and you know it's Pasty or Marty and you can pick up right there and sing along to the end even if it's tune you haven't heard in years.

Man we're killing this thread HA! My apologies to all.
Marty Robbins is another great voice I miss even today. But Ms. Clines voice like you say is haunting! My family down in Nashville knew her well, and she was getting ready to make a serious move into another form of music shortly before her death. I think she would have done well. They recently did a new remastered LP of her hits, but have not heard it yet. It's supposed to be very nice, and they say that they will offer it in 45 rpm! This is nothing like the old big hole discs in the past, but a super high quality LP that comes in two LP's instead of one. The vocals are usually much deeper in these. I noticed it right away with Jenifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" reissue a few years back. (lives right outside Austin).
gary
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 246
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Are those .260's or 6.5-06's you are all talking about? lol
__________________
One shot, one kill; the only way to hunt!
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,632
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittrgittr View Post
Are those .260's or 6.5-06's you are all talking about? lol
Both as well as some discussion here of the 6.5x284, 6.5Rem mag, and .264 Wm.

I own both the .260 Rem and the .264wm and love them both.

Everyone should have at least one quality 6.5 in their arsenal or it's just not complete.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 246
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

That's my dilemma as we speak. I'm thinking of the .260,6.5-06, or 6.5x284. Mainly for targets but possibly on deer. I'm looking at the tikka t3, savage varmint hunter, or savage long range hunter. I own a tikka in 22-250 and its a tack driver. I do not own a savage yet, but hear they are as well. The varmint hunter has a heavier barrel that is fluted vs the long range hunter has a slimmer barrel but has a muzzle brake. Thanx for any opinions. Sorry for stealing this thread, but it is closely related.
__________________
One shot, one kill; the only way to hunt!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 30.29%
53 Votes
NO - 54.86%
96 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 14.86%
26 Votes
Total Votes: 175
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC