Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Don't leave Mr. Weatherby out of the equation either. While the double radius design just looks stupid to me it's incredibly efficient and seems to focus the bulk of the heat in the center of the bore vs against the sides of the throat reducing throat erosion compared to conventional cases. I had this explained to me in a way I could understand finally by a good friend using a cutting torch adjusting the oxygen and acetylene flows.

After than it made perfect sense.

A few people have come up with some hellacious wildcats on various Weatherby Cartridges. They have a loyal cult following as well but really never caught on with the general public like many of the others.

That same friend had a 7mm x 300 weatherby and 6.5 x 300wby that were just nail driving screamers that were absolutely devastating open country and wheat field rigs.
pass this man a cigar!

you are correct in the double radius directing the hot gas flow towards the center,but the sharp shoulder will do this as well. But the double radi shoulder is not new to Roy Weatherby. It was developed by some other folks that were equalely as smart. What most people fail to realize about the double radius is that it's much more rigid than a strait line. Plus the actual shoulder angle computes in the 45 degree area (at least one WBY case is 47+ degrees). Plus I've just never noticed much brass flow in them (I'm sure there is some). Weatherby developed a lot of cartridges that most of us will never know about. Some were a bust (.224 comes to mind), and some are great rounds. I always thought his .460 on paper looked fantastic, but in real world shooting was not so hot (too much velocity). His 7mm mag was probably his best, but know that he liked the .257mag the best. I have a small little group that I put Roy inside of that were great cartridge designers. That would include Ackley, Mashburn, Vias, Pendle/Palmisano, and Mike Walker, and maybe
Jack O Conner.
gary
Old 12-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

It's interesting to note that the same gentleman that condemns one man for creating something "he" thinks is extreme will at the click of a key on his computer glorify others for doing the same thing ............... all in the same post !

If it wasn't for Mr. Weatherby and Mr. Ackley and many others we would still be limited to WW1 and WW2 cartridges and consider 400 yards as extreme long range.....

These days we shoot beyond 1000 yards accurately and effectively, and most important ..repeatedly.....

Avancements will only come if any one man is willing to shrug off and discard so-called "experts" and continue with innovation through expirementation with components available to him in his era

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 12-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
It's interesting to note that the same gentleman that condemns one man for creating something "he" thinks is extreme will at the click of a key on his computer glorify others for doing the same thing ............... all in the same post !

If it wasn't for Mr. Weatherby and Mr. Ackley and many others we would still be limited to WW1 and WW2 cartridges and consider 400 yards as extreme long range.....

These days we shoot beyond 1000 yards accurately and effectively, and most important ..repeatedly.....

Avancements will only come if any one man is willing to shrug off and discard so-called "experts" and continue with innovation through expirementation with components available to him in his era
You seem to be going out of your way to be contentious on this subject. Shoot what you want and enjoy it.

It's your choice and if you wish to push the bounds to the extremes and can afford to do so man go for it.

Not many people can afford to rebarrel a rifle every year or so and for many doing so would mean they are without a hunting rifle for many months at a time every year or so because they can only afford one.

I shoot the 7mm STW considered extreme to most people and absolutely one that will eat barrels if you shoot it a lot especially if you shoot it hot. It's also a caliber I recommend to others. Just not to people who fit into that category above without a warning as to the shorter barrel life.

If I had the extra time and money I'd in fact build a 6.5STW and just neck down 7mm STW brass for it but I can't and have no justification for the expense so I won't.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with WildRose, shoot what you can afford and enjoy your self! It does not matter if it's the most trendy, fastest or hardest hitting, just go out, shoot and have fun!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You seem to be going out of your way to be contentious on this subject. Shoot what you want and enjoy it.

It's your choice and if you wish to push the bounds to the extremes and can afford to do so man go for it.

Not many people can afford to rebarrel a rifle every year or so and for many doing so would mean they are without a hunting rifle for many months at a time every year or so because they can only afford one.

I shoot the 7mm STW considered extreme to most people and absolutely one that will eat barrels if you shoot it a lot especially if you shoot it hot. It's also a caliber I recommend to others. Just not to people who fit into that category above without a warning as to the shorter barrel life.

If I had the extra time and money I'd in fact build a 6.5STW and just neck down 7mm STW brass for it but I can't and have no justification for the expense so I won't.
How does that song go> "Abilene, Abilene, prettiest place I've ever seen."

I have a buddy that's been hooked on the 7mm STW for eons. Tony loves the round. Always kinda wanted the STW necked up to 30 cailber, or even better .338
gary
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
How does that song go> "Abilene, Abilene, prettiest place I've ever seen."

I have a buddy that's been hooked on the 7mm STW for eons. Tony loves the round. Always kinda wanted the STW necked up to 30 cailber, or even better .338
gary
"The friendlies people and the purdiest women I ever seen... are in Abilene, my Abilene... .

I was a 7mm Rem guy for twenty years. Around 89-90 I discovered the STW. It's been a love affair ever since.

I put the first few rounds down the tube today on my latest aquisition which is a Model 70 Sharpshooter 7mm STW. A very rare and hard to find duck let me tell you.

I actually thought I'd overpaid for this one. It's all original, Schneider ultra match barrel, stainless, with the black receiver.

Put one through it at 25 to get on paper, 2 more at 100 to get it right and the rest between 400-750 making golf ball sized rocks out of softball sized rocks.

Man did I NOT over pay!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
"The friendlies people and the purdiest women I ever seen... are in Abilene, my Abilene... .

I was a 7mm Rem guy for twenty years. Around 89-90 I discovered the STW. It's been a love affair ever since.

I put the first few rounds down the tube today on my latest aquisition which is a Model 70 Sharpshooter 7mm STW. A very rare and hard to find duck let me tell you.

I actually thought I'd overpaid for this one. It's all original, Schneider ultra match barrel, stainless, with the black receiver.

Put one through it at 25 to get on paper, 2 more at 100 to get it right and the rest between 400-750 making golf ball sized rocks out of softball sized rocks.

Man did I NOT over pay!
been right thru your area a few times in the past while listening to Jerry Jeff Walker (east coast guys won't know who that is). One of my closest friends is from Abilene
gary