Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiesooner3 View Post
Here goes my two cents. I have wanted a new whiz bang caliber for about 5 years. The exact two calibers mentioned here. My donor rifles. Model 88 Winchester .308 (lever action) and a weatherby vanguard 30' 06. Paid about $600 for each. '06 came with a leupold vari xIII. I wanted to neck each down to this amazing 6.5 caliber so I could have the greatest gun in my neighborhood. My "problem" the 88 will shoot less than .5" groups all day long with almost any hand load I put in it. Yes it's a lever action and it ain't for sale! The first two bullets out of the '06 were hornady's 165 grain light mags and the bullet holes all but touched. The guy at the gun store tried to buy it back immediately (he did a trigger job and sighted it in). My point is this. Why can't we just buy a good gun in a decent caliber and go shoot it? At 800 yards my lever action makes all the guys at the range say "what?" And my '06 can punch paper with $3000 rifles past 1200 yds. I have a very close family member who works for shilen and could rebarrel both worth the money, but why? I can kill everything in North America with either gun and I still want something else we are never satisfied!
Where in Central Texas do you live?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Bronze Member

You know my answer, they are still making safes.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiesooner3 View Post
Here goes my two cents. I have wanted a new whiz bang caliber for about 5 years. The exact two calibers mentioned here. My donor rifles. Model 88 Winchester .308 (lever action) and a weatherby vanguard 30' 06. Paid about $600 for each. '06 came with a leupold vari xIII. I wanted to neck each down to this amazing 6.5 caliber so I could have the greatest gun in my neighborhood. My "problem" the 88 will shoot less than .5" groups all day long with almost any hand load I put in it. Yes it's a lever action and it ain't for sale! The first two bullets out of the '06 were hornady's 165 grain light mags and the bullet holes all but touched. The guy at the gun store tried to buy it back immediately (he did a trigger job and sighted it in). My point is this. Why can't we just buy a good gun in a decent caliber and go shoot it? At 800 yards my lever action makes all the guys at the range say "what?" And my '06 can punch paper with $3000 rifles past 1200 yds. I have a very close family member who works for shilen and could rebarrel both worth the money, but why? I can kill everything in North America with either gun and I still want something else we are never satisfied!
If you have a Winchester 88 in excellent condition, I would absolutly leave it alone! Worth too much, and kinda rare bird. Plus I've never run into a sub MOA 88 in my lifetime. I have an older wood stocked Vanguard in 30-06 that simply amazes me everytime I shoot it. It is exactly the same way it came out of the box except for scope mounts and the scope. Never even adjusted the trigger! Will put three 150 bullets in about a 5/8" triangle (outside to outside) everytime with zero flyers (I don't think it's ever shot a flyer!). I've just always felt I got one of the best ones they built!

For a donor rifle, I'd be looking for a 700 Remington or just buy a Savage from Walmart. You'd be far better off in the begining.
gary
Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
If you have a Winchester 88 in excellent condition, I would absolutly leave it alone! Worth too much, and kinda rare bird. Plus I've never run into a sub MOA 88 in my lifetime. I have an older wood stocked Vanguard in 30-06 that simply amazes me everytime I shoot it. It is exactly the same way it came out of the box except for scope mounts and the scope. Never even adjusted the trigger! Will put three 150 bullets in about a 5/8" triangle (outside to outside) everytime with zero flyers (I don't think it's ever shot a flyer!). I've just always felt I got one of the best ones they built!

For a donor rifle, I'd be looking for a 700 Remington or just buy a Savage from Walmart. You'd be far better off in the begining.
gary
100% agree!........Rich
Old 11-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Bronze Member

long post a lot of good comments.
i dont think you could go wrong with either.
the longer 160's would save the barrel and shoot better at over 1000 yards. the -06 would hold the edge with more case capacity and ability to load the bullet out further. this seems to be the edge with the 6.5 x 55

the sectional density is almost as high as the 220 gr 30 cal. so you will get stem to stern penetration at nearly the same velocities. things the swiss 6.5 are famous for.

doc
Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Bronze Member

You will have to reload for your 6.5-06 obviously.

I do reload, and my choice would be 6.5-06 for just a hunting rifle. However, I just went form an '06 to a 6.5x55. Why? Barrel life. I shoot a few thousand rounds a year and the 6.5-06 wouldn't cut it in barrel life.

Remeber though, you can always down load a cartridge, but you cannot push it past the max. In other words, the 260 will only do so much....The 6.5-06 can do the same loaded mildly.

PS - This may have been already stated as I was not going to read through this whole thread.

Nocte Venator
Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Silver Member

a good barrel is only $300 -$400, if a fella can't afford that, get a cartridge that will allow several thousand rounds and quit messin with the ones that barely make 1 k, every forum you go on guys are whining about barrel life of a certain cartridge, simple : don't use it

I just necked down the 300 Norma Mag to 6.5, gave it a longer neck and a 35 degree shoulder, that will "maybe" last 800 rnds but will provide some screaming 6.5 mm ballistics at 3600-3700 fps with a 140 gr bullet, you want performance you gotta give something up somewhere,

not trying to start a fire here, just the whole "barrel life" issue should be put to rest,
if you know it's gonna burn you, you should know better than to touch it

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud