Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
There seem to be as many definitions of accuracy as there are internet experts, .................................................. .................... "minute of hillside".
..................................despite being on an old M70 action the thing shoots and shoots easy
"minute of hillside". LOL, bigngreen that is top of the line. LOVE IT.

"old M70 action the thing shoots and shoots easy" reminds me of my own old M70 "minute of Moose" event in AK before pipeline, Might get time to tell that story some time, however it was a .270 so it waits.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
"Anyone" refers to a single person. All I wanted to know is who has shot that rifle that well. If it's you, then say so. By the way your described your abilities to shoot it that well, I thought someone elsy may have. If you've never shot it that well, then how do you know it'll shoot that well? Surely someone has shot it that well, else you're only hoping it does.
He shoots it, he's the judge. Take his word for it or don't.

It's not like your opinion or mine for that matter actually matters. We're not here to add up his scores as it's not a competition and we're not judges.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:11 PM

I hunted with a Rem 700 in 6.5x55 for a few years. Light recoil and it dropped every blacktail and Muley with one shot. Very impressive at reasonable ranges. I am also curious about the 6.5-06 as I am wanting to build a long range hunter/target multi purpose rifle. I hear all the praise going to the 6.5-284 in the 1000 yrd matches but looking at ammo costs I can get .25-06 brass a whole lot cheaper than 284 brass, but I don't know if I will achieve the same accuracy. Has anyone had any personal experience with hunting or target at long ranges with a 6.5-06?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Stalker View Post
I hunted with a Rem 700 in 6.5x55 for a few years. Light recoil and it dropped every blacktail and Muley with one shot. Very impressive at reasonable ranges. I am also curious about the 6.5-06 as I am wanting to build a long range hunter/target multi purpose rifle. I hear all the praise going to the 6.5-284 in the 1000 yrd matches but looking at ammo costs I can get .25-06 brass a whole lot cheaper than 284 brass, but I don't know if I will achieve the same accuracy. Has anyone had any personal experience with hunting or target at long ranges with a 6.5-06?
I have had plenty of experience with a 6.5-06 A.I. and a 6.5 Sherman (an A.I. on steroids) and they are great, accurate rounds that are effective up to, and including, elk......Rich
Old 08-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I have had plenty of experience with a 6.5-06 A.I. and a 6.5 Sherman (an A.I. on steroids) and they are great, accurate rounds that are effective up to, and including, elk......Rich
I've been wanting to ask you this for a good while now, and for me it's important.

* will the 6.5 Sherman headspace in a 30-06 chamber? Or vise versa? I shoot several 30-06's and have been looking at the 6.5 Sherman. But the grand idea of mixing a 30-06 round in a batch of 6.5's is not a good thing!
gary
Old 08-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I've been wanting to ask you this for a good while now, and for me it's important.

* will the 6.5 Sherman headspace in a 30-06 chamber? Or vise versa? I shoot several 30-06's and have been looking at the 6.5 Sherman. But the grand idea of mixing a 30-06 round in a batch of 6.5's is not a good thing!
gary
Not even close! To my knowledge, it won't headspace in ANY '06 family case since it is dimensionally larger in body and in most cases, longer to the shoulder. Better build that Sherman........Rich
p.s. Just realized that I only answered half of the question. The 'o6 would not headspace in a Sherman chamber either because the bullet diameter would stick in the neck. Something like the 25-06 would chamber but worse case there would be the bullet rattling down the barrel and possibly a busted case......
Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Not even close! To my knowledge, it won't headspace in ANY '06 family case since it is dimensionally larger in body and in most cases, longer to the shoulder. Better build that Sherman........Rich
p.s. Just realized that I only answered half of the question. The 'o6 would not headspace in a Sherman chamber either because the bullet diameter would stick in the neck. Something like the 25-06 would chamber but worse case there would be the bullet rattling down the barrel and possibly a busted case......
that's why I quit using the 270 Winchester, and as much as I want the .338-06, I'd have to go with the improved case for saftey issues alone. I'll put that case on my list
gary