Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Poll: What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

Reply

260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #232  
Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,149
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
How do you "know" it'll hold 1/3 MOA past 1000 yards?

Has anyone shot several 3-shot groups with your rifle past 800 yards and beyond 1000 and all of 'em are under 1/3 MOA?
Since when is a rifle/load's accuracy only verified by multiple users shooting the same combo?
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grantsville Utah
Posts: 3,486
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Since when is a rifle/load's accuracy only verified by multiple users shooting the same combo?
Good question.....
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,554
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

There seem to be as many definitions of accuracy as there are internet experts, there are guys who think a rifle is only as accurate as it's largest or smallest group, some take the average. Some hold groups in complete contempt and only will accept multiple single shots at small dots or measure the accuracy as how far your cold bore is from point of aim not the size of a group, while others measure it in minute of hillside.
As a gun builder, hand loader and shooter I want to know as much as I can. It's not hard to get out and shoot a rifle enough to establish what represents the rifles best capability with the least amount of influence from the shooter, this for me becomes the base line that I'm striving for every time. Do I feed the rifle something it pukes up on, yes but I don't count that against the rifle but the loader, do I miss a cold bore wind call, heck ya but I don't count that to the rifle just the shooter. If you count everything to the rifle how then can you as a loader, shooter or gun builder find the room for improvement in yourself?

Some of the best shooting I've ever witnessed was done buy guys who would not get caught dead at the firing line of a BR comp but that does not make them or their rifle inferior.
The 6.5 Sherman is an out standing chambering and despite being on an old M70 action the thing shoots and shoots easy
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 07-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grantsville Utah
Posts: 3,486
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
There seem to be as many definitions of accuracy as there are internet experts, there are guys who think a rifle is only as accurate as it's largest or smallest group, some take the average. Some hold groups in complete contempt and only will accept multiple single shots at small dots or measure the accuracy as how far your cold bore is from point of aim not the size of a group, while others measure it in minute of hillside.
As a gun builder, hand loader and shooter I want to know as much as I can. It's not hard to get out and shoot a rifle enough to establish what represents the rifles best capability with the least amount of influence from the shooter, this for me becomes the base line that I'm striving for every time. Do I feed the rifle something it pukes up on, yes but I don't count that against the rifle but the loader, do I miss a cold bore wind call, heck ya but I don't count that to the rifle just the shooter. If you count everything to the rifle how then can you as a loader, shooter or gun builder find the room for improvement in yourself?

Some of the best shooting I've ever witnessed was done buy guys who would not get caught dead at the firing line of a BR comp but that does not make them or their rifle inferior.
The 6.5 Sherman is an out standing chambering and despite being on an old M70 action the thing shoots and shoots easy
Well put Rhian! I don't shoot .1 moa with my 30/375 S.I. every time (obviously) but the RIFLE is capable of it.......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,114
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Since when is a rifle/load's accuracy only verified by multiple users shooting the same combo?
"Anyone" refers to a single person. All I wanted to know is who has shot that rifle that well. If it's you, then say so. By the way your described your abilities to shoot it that well, I thought someone elsy may have. If you've never shot it that well, then how do you know it'll shoot that well? Surely someone has shot it that well, else you're only hoping it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I don't shoot .1 moa with my 30/375 S.I. every time (obviously) but the RIFLE is capable of it.Rich
All rifles are capable of shooting 1/10th MOA at any range. . . .once in a (great) while. You just have to shoot enough groups to finally get one that small. I've shot a 1-inch 3-consecutive-shot group with a Garand at 1000 yards. Did it only once. But there's no way I'd claim that 7.62 NATO M1 Shooting Sierra 190's was a 1/10th MOA rifle when in reality it would hold a bit over 1 MOA at 1000 with good handloads. That day Lady Luck was nice to me. . . .for three shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
There seem to be as many definitions of accuracy as there are internet experts, there are guys who think a rifle is only as accurate as it's largest or smallest group, some take the average.
Very true.

I use the largest group for a given load as its measure of accuracy. That's what one can count on all the time. If one doesn't want to miss their point of aim by some amount, twice that amount is the accuracy the rifle and its ammo has to have.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 07-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grantsville Utah
Posts: 3,486
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
"Anyone" refers to a single person. All I wanted to know is who has shot that rifle that well. If it's you, then say so. By the way your described your abilities to shoot it that well, I thought someone elsy may have. If you've never shot it that well, then how do you know it'll shoot that well? Surely someone has shot it that well, else you're only hoping it does.



All rifles are capable of shooting 1/10th MOA at any range. . . .once in a (great) while. You just have to shoot enough groups to finally get one that small. I've shot a 1-inch 3-consecutive-shot group with a Garand at 1000 yards. Did it only once. But there's no way I'd claim that 7.62 NATO M1 Shooting Sierra 190's was a 1/10th MOA rifle when in reality it would hold a bit over 1 MOA at 1000 with good handloads. That day Lady Luck was nice to me. . . .for three shots.

Very true.

I use the largest group for a given load as its measure of accuracy. That's what one can count on all the time. If one doesn't want to miss their point of aim by some amount, twice that amount is the accuracy the rifle and its ammo has to have.
Actually, I've shot quite a few .1 groups out of the 200+ rounds I've put thru this rifle so far but I would concede that it doesn't mean I can do so every time. If I could, I wouldn't be on this forum but sitting on the throne somewhere
I don't think that Cliff or others are trying to say anything other than that either. There are a lot of factors, other than the rifle, that keep us from shooting any given group size, as you well know. I think Cliff is saying he has a very good shooting rifle that he has "often" shot 1/3 moa with. I'm fine with not picking that apart to the n'th degree.....Rich
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,639
Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
How do you "know" it'll hold 1/3 MOA past 1000 yards?

Has anyone shot several 3-shot groups with your rifle past 800 yards and beyond 1000 and all of 'em are under 1/3 MOA?
last time I looked the world record was 2.81" at 1000 yards, and I suspect that a 4.5" group will win 90% of the shoots out there
gary
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC