Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM

Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

I've made two 6.5x284s, 260AI, 260 and 6.5x57AI (Roberts AI). Pushed them from mild to wild. For shootability and all around I would go with the 260. With 6.5 cal you don't have to push it 3000 plus for good killing and penetration. All the steam and recoil in the world makes for nothing if you shoot them in the ass. A Berger 140 @ 2700fps will blow thru a big muley at 100 plus yards and take both lungs and the heart with it. Now when I was young buck that horse power and my rifle is bigger and badder was pretty impressive. Now a sweetheart rifle (260 or 6.5x55) will give me everything I need for everything up to Moose, for big bear I want my 375H&H for that feel good feeling.
For long range target the 260AI is my pick over the 6.5x284. A old man up in central Idaho told me long ago that you don't need 2 buckets of powder when 1 bucket will do. It only took me 40 years to understand it. Good hunting and good luck with what every you choose. Weezer from Idaho
Old 04-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I've made two 6.5x284s, 260AI, 260 and 6.5x57AI (Roberts AI). Pushed them from mild to wild. For shootability and all around I would go with the 260. With 6.5 cal you don't have to push it 3000 plus for good killing and penetration. All the steam and recoil in the world makes for nothing if you shoot them in the ass. A Berger 140 @ 2700fps will blow thru a big muley at 100 plus yards and take both lungs and the heart with it. Now when I was young buck that horse power and my rifle is bigger and badder was pretty impressive. Now a sweetheart rifle (260 or 6.5x55) will give me everything I need for everything up to Moose, for big bear I want my 375H&H for that feel good feeling.
For long range target the 260AI is my pick over the 6.5x284. A old man up in central Idaho told me long ago that you don't need 2 buckets of powder when 1 bucket will do. It only took me 40 years to understand it. Good hunting and good luck with what every you choose. Weezer from Idaho
A man after my own heart Weezer!!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Bronze Member

As a Long Range performer the 6,5-06 kan do whatever the 260 can with more authority, less drift, less drop - resulting in higher impact velocity which ranslates into more kiling power.

A 260 and a 6,5x55 Swedish on my side where 6,5's a loaded to normal pressure are interchangeable - an 06 is almost at the heels of a 264 Win being right in between the 6,5x284 Norma and the 264.

3000 f/s + with a well constructed 140 grs bullet is a lot more potent than 2700f/s with the same pill. It's almost the same diffence as between a 308Win and a 300 WM. I cannot believe there are anyone on this sight finding a 308 to be a better LRH round.

If you cannot shoot straight it's very easy - refrain from shooting. A .50 in the ***** isn't worth s**t

I currently own 2 6,5x47's, 3 6,5x55's and one 6,5x284 LR Target gun. If I had to take one of them hunting I would take the x284 any day of the week. Expanded .264 bullets are not big and more oomp will be highly appreciated since 6,5 guns is VERY far from my first choice when it comes to BG hunting.

For live weght animals upp til approx 300# they are absolutely lethal - but for large deer, elk and moose I would feel seriously undergunned with anything but the fastest 6,5's shooting a tough wellconstructed bullet at ranges limited to approx 400y.

But to each of his own - I personally have strong preferances againgst tracking bloodtrails and a larger diameter wound channel helps me avoiding such situations
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

The 6.5 swede has taken every species of game in Northern Europe since it first was developed.

There is so little real difference between the .260, the Swede, and the 6.5x284 it's not worth quibbling over.

If 200 fps is going to make the difference between a killing and wounding over shot placement and bullet selection I haven't seen any evidence of it.

Use the right bullet, put it where it belongs, and dead is dead.

As for the drop and wind drift, why do you think the LR competition shooters do just as well with all of the 6.5's? Because a couple of hundred feet per second does not make that much of a difference at long range. Putting it consistently where you aim however makes all of the difference.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 6.5 swede has taken every species of game in Northern Europe since it first was developed.

There is so little real difference between the .260, the Swede, and the 6.5x284 it's not worth quibbling over.

If 200 fps is going to make the difference between a killing and wounding over shot placement and bullet selection I haven't seen any evidence of it.

As for the drop and wind drift, why do you think the LR competition shooters do just as well with all of the 6.5's? Because a couple of hundred feet per second does not make that much of a difference at long range. Putting it consistently where you aim however makes all of the difference.
The recoil "or lack of it" helps most people do a better job of putting it where you aim as well. This is one of the reasons the long range guys prefer it......Rich
Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post

Here we have to agree to dissagree. A test performed by swedish game management authorities with more than 8000 heads of game taken over 2 seasons clearly states that impact velocities above 2900f/s(900m/s) is the fastest putting game on the ground. Shortest distances game travelled from being hit to being to being on the ground dead was with 300 WM and 7 RM.

I'm not discussing with you that dead is dead if you hit were you are supposed to - but in my book a quicker death is a more humane one. And when it comes to hunting ethics and animal welfare I'm always gone be on the game side of the discussion. That is also why I am very skeptical of the practice of using small calibers on large game. Yes you will kill them eventually but usually it takes to long and is from an animal welfare standpoint poor caliber choices.

As the 25-06 on elk tread currently being discussed these days. On a large bull elk 25-06 is NOT a suited tool for the job
Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer 150 View Post
Here we have to agree to dissagree. A test performed by swedish game management authorities with more than 8000 heads of game taken over 2 seasons clearly states that impact velocities above 2900f/s(900m/s) is the fastest putting game on the ground. Shortest distances game travelled from being hit to being to being on the ground dead was with 300 WM and 7 RM.

I'm not discussing with you that dead is dead if you hit were you are supposed to - but in my book a quicker death is a more humane one. And when it comes to hunting ethics and animal welfare I'm always gone be on the game side of the discussion. That is also why I am very skeptical of the practice of using small calibers on large game. Yes you will kill them eventually but usually it takes to long and is from an animal welfare standpoint poor caliber choices.

As the 25-06 on elk tread currently being discussed these days. On a large bull elk 25-06 is NOT a suited tool for the job
I for one,believe very little from a "Game Department" ,sorry but they work for a govenment and can say what they want you to hear...