Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

These are all such valid points. The wild cats and airlines is why I carried the 270 Win to Saskatchewan last fall as opposed to the 260 Rem AI. I would have been able to shoot regular 260 Rem through it just fine but would have to some minor sight adjustments. But the more good points everyone brings up the more I think we all need to just keep gettting bigger safes.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifle View Post
Yes,plenty and a Wildcat is not my choice for a travel weapon. Two trips to Africa and Germany, I hunted with the plain jane stuff.

But that was YOUR CHOICE. Many people spend mucho dinero having a rifle made for themselves to fly off to "Umzwallialand" to bag a BIG critter...and they take their latest 6mm/50-BMG chambered rifle.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
But that was YOUR CHOICE. Many people spend mucho dinero having a rifle made for themselves to fly off to "Umzwallialand" to bag a BIG critter...and they take their latest 6mm/50-BMG chambered rifle.
Yes, a choice of common sense.....
On a drive up hunt/shoot,take what you wish,but on a flyaway, you PREPARE for the worst and go from there.
Wildcats are fun and some even have made history,but the real world leaves them as a simple Gold Star for the experminter....
Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, a choice of common sense.....
On a drive up hunt/shoot,take what you wish,but on a flyaway, you PREPARE for the worst and go from there.
Wildcats are fun and some even have made history,but the real world leaves them as a simple Gold Star for the experminter....
But the 260 ISNT a wildcat...the 6.5-06 IS one...and thats the base of the discussion...the .260 VS the 6.5-06
Old 03-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
In 40+ years of shooting,I've never seen anyone with a wildcat not have ammo ready and avaiable. That's part of owning one.....
Back in the day the 25/06 had the same growing pains.
I've had several clients over the years show up with a very nice custom wild cat who suddenly discovered they'd been separated from their ammo in transit or forgot to pack it.

Once we had a pack horse go nuts scattering things all over the mountain for mile or more resulting in the same thing.

That's one reason that I always encourage clinets to bring a backup rifle in a caliber we can come up with ammo for in a pinch should the need arrive.

There are some phenomenal wildcats out there but none so special as to be able to actually replace factory rounds the the vast majority of our needs.

Some though are just too damned cool not to want to own.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
But the 260 ISNT a wildcat...the 6.5-06 IS one...and thats the base of the discussion...the .260 VS the 6.5-06
Point taken,however I bet I'll find the standards much easier than a .260.Don't get me wrong I have several 6.5 including the .260 and 6.5-06,plus the 6.5 Mannlicher.6.5 X 57 and my newest 6.5 Creedmoor,lov them all....
Old 03-12-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I've had several clients over the years show up with a very nice custom wild cat who suddenly discovered they'd been separated from their ammo in transit or forgot to pack it.

Once we had a pack horse go nuts scattering things all over the mountain for mile or more resulting in the same thing.

That's one reason that I always encourage clinets to bring a backup rifle in a caliber we can come up with ammo for in a pinch should the need arrive.

There are some phenomenal wildcats out there but none so special as to be able to actually replace factory rounds the the vast majority of our needs.

Some though are just too damned cool not to want to own.
My point was that Wildcaters "normanly" have plenty of their favorite fodder avaiable to shoot,but I do not,will not travel with one when flying.

PS,I saw your patch,spend any time at Bragg?