Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

260 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: 260 build

hmmmmm......... decisions....... this is the part I hate about this hobby!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Lothar Walther, and Shilen would be my two choices hands down for a pre-fit Savage. I have a Pac-Nor on my savage 111 swede and it definitely will be the last Pre-Fit I *EVER* buy from Pac-Nor!! The camber was cut crooked, when I called them telling them that the absolute best I could do was 1 MOA at 100 they basically said "Congrats you are doing good!" I paid big bucks for a super select match barrel and I get that ****!!! F-That !!! On top of that, the 3groove barrel happened to be "A bit on the slow side", and my sisters Savage 10FP with oem barrel on it cleaned up in Half The Time with over twice the rounds down range between cleanings!! Ya know, I have held my silence for years on this damn barrel and Pac-Nor now...but I am not about to let some poor sap get F-ckd like I did and not at least Tell Him About It.

I will say that *AFTER* I had it converted to AI, it suddenly shot bug holes, and continued to shoot them for the better part of 1500 or so rounds. I had over 1k rounds down the tube just trying to break into some real accuracy. Know what? The 140gr Gamke Kings at Exactly 18 thou off the lands on well prep'd Win brass with Wolf Primers and H4831sc was THE one and only load to EVER break below 1MOA, that load printed .2 / .3 with great regularity. Oh, and the bullets were sorted by weight and ogive and Sorta Tipped for conformity. That load was the absolute biggest pain in my ass in over 20 years of reloading! Then I go and roll it up in an AI and that barrel shoots damn near anything in 1/2 inch or less with very little effort.

You may have great and/or awesome luck with Pac-Nor on NON-PRE-FIT barrels, but watch out for their Pre-Fit! This is why I advise Shilen for sure, and LW by what I have heard several times now. If you call Shilen and tell them "Hey I want a Savage Pre-Fit with a Dead-Ass-Square chamber, they will deliver to you just that and if for any reason it is NOT they WILL make it right. Real good CS on Shilen. Is every barrel perfect? Nope! But they are great folks to deal with.

By the way, this is the first time I have broke my silence on the forums on this particular issue. After the re-chamber by .... Afterwards, it shot great and with ease. It still cleaned like ****, but shot great. I have never Wanted To BURN Out a barrel so bad, ever! I am very glad it is basically dead now, and time for a rebarrel on the Savage. But I am waffling bad on what I will choose. Having hell deciding between a 280 Nosler AI and a 25-06 AI. Heh.

Now as for barrel length, over on the hide Dar I think it was cut a 260 back quite a bit and was surprised at how little velocity loss he had. After reading about his experience, I would be tempted to roll with about 22" heavy fluted barrel myself. Give up some velocity, sure, but gain in Handi-ness.

You may find that $700 puts you on a bit of a tight budget. I would keep your stock for now, and stiffen the fore-end, "fill" the butt, and bed it. Now if you get a couple of rods you can finesse them into the fore-end and then fill over them with something like marine tex and you will gain pretty reasonable stiffness. Enough to get you by until you can save up for a Manners or some other of the truly excellent stocks out there. There is another thread here where many stocks were listed, most all of them real good choices.

Bolt Head, you just have to order the bolt Head kit and change it. Do a bit of reading and go for it, it is pretty easy if you are at all mechanically inclined (you are).

Remember to get some Go-No-Go gages when you get your action wrench. Also, you will need some kind of action vise. I was lucky enough a friend machined a block set out of aluminum that I put in a regular vise and clamp down. The barrel change is easy.

Good luck,
Gary

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

So in light of the responses I have gotten in terms of the Remington and price, wondering what about doing a savage model 12 lrp? if I'm not mistaken this would be a savage target action and hs precision stock in the .260. Do you guys think I would come out ahead in doing this again for $950. Also, if I decide that I do want the extra power can I have the barrel reamed in either 6.5-06 or 6.5-284?

cant get exact link but here's a start...
Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

That would be a step in the right direction in my opinion. I just built a .308 on their low profile action. The only thing is that you are going to have to buy the barrel to get what you want. That is why I suggest you look into buying the exact same action for less, put the barrel of your choice on it, and buy the stock of your choice.

McGowen Barrel: $300 Lothar Walther Prefit $350 in Savage replacement

Stocky's stocks sells the H-S Precision for I believe $299

Savage LRPV action $450

That comes out to $1050 plus or minus (Not including tax and shipping) depending what you go with (barrel manufacturer). You can get a Stockade stock unfinished and finish it yourself for around $235 (depending what model you get, and any extra's you may want). You'll pay $50 extra to have it drilled for the three stud Savage action. My cousin has one of his bench stocks on order. Can't wait to see it.

That is my suggestion for a Savage build. You can pick up tools and gauges for barrel swaps for about $150. It's very easy to do. Just did it myself a few weeks ago. Skies the limit with caliber selection when you can do it yourself.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 AM

You can buy several models from Savage chambered in 6.5x284, some noted as being sub .25MOA out of the box.

Last edited by spiaailtli; 01-19-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

I forgot to answer your other question, yes you can then chamber it to a bigger 6.5 on the same barrel. If you want to go magnum, then you will have to get a bigger bolt face.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I forgot to answer your other question, yes you can then chamber it to a bigger 6.5 on the same barrel. If you want to go magnum, then you will have to get a bigger bolt face.

Tank
Not the 6.5-06 though on that action right? Aren't the current ones all short action?