Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

26 Nosler????? !!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: 26 Nosler????? !!!!!

It sounds very similar to Kirby's 6.5 Allen express in performance.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

What do you guys think the barrel life will be on a 26 nosler?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

Pretty sure it's based on the 375 Ruger case, not the 404 Jeffrey case.

Nosler has some dimension listed on Introducing 26 Nosler | Flat to 415

Regards,
Rog
Old 01-16-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
What do you guys think the barrel life will be on a 26 nosler?

Does it really matter? If you liked fast cars the tires would not last so you change them when they needed it. Sorry not trying to be an as$, we will not know that for a while and it will all depend on your individual application.

I shoot a .264 Win Mag loaded hot enough I throw the cases away after 5 -6 loadings. I have slightly over 800+ rounds down the tube. It shot groups in the .250" range when I did my part (That was 7 years ago). Before this hunting season I shot it to confirm zero and shot sub 1/2". It has lost about 30 fps average since the load was developed. I hunt with it, and now only run about 25-50 rounds a year through it at most and that is due to the development of new better bullets or new lots of powder etc.... I figure the barrel will last to 1200 before I need another. I bought a new action, stock and scope to build another 6.5 to tinker with and was looking to wild cat it in 6.5 X 300Win with a long thoat to shoot the 140 Bergers... Now I am on hold waiting to see more on this case. I like the fact that this will be a fat case about the win mag length with no belt.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTLORD264M View Post
Does it really matter? If you liked fast cars the tires would not last so you change them when they needed it. Sorry not trying to be an as$, we will not know that for a while and it will all depend on your individual application.

I shoot a .264 Win Mag loaded hot enough I throw the cases away after 5 -6 loadings. I have slightly over 800+ rounds down the tube. It shot groups in the .250" range when I did my part (That was 7 years ago). Before this hunting season I shot it to confirm zero and shot sub 1/2". It has lost about 30 fps average since the load was developed. I hunt with it, and now only run about 25-50 rounds a year through it at most and that is due to the development of new better bullets or new lots of powder etc.... I figure the barrel will last to 1200 before I need another. I bought a new action, stock and scope to build another 6.5 to tinker with and was looking to wild cat it in 6.5 X 300Win with a long thoat to shoot the 140 Bergers... Now I am on hold waiting to see more on this case. I like the fact that this will be a fat case about the win mag length with no belt.
Ditto. Barrel life is only a serious consideration for high volume shooters. If someone wants a plinker in 6.5 that they can do a lot of high volume shooting they need to stick to the 6.5 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmore, or .260 Rem.

You don't however buy a hotrod and drive it full throttle and expect it to last like Granny's Caddy, or mom's Volvo.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Does it really matter?
Hello and welcome to LRH.

I think it matters. Rounds thats have been deemed barrel burners tend to be much less popular to the public. Hurting sales dramatically. Look at the 220 swift. Will it still be accepted by enthusiast, long range hunters and shooters looking to get the most outta their favorite 6.5mm bullets? Undoubtedly!

If nothing else i think itd be fun to estimate. Sure looks like it holds a whole bunch of powder.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
Hello and welcome to LRH.

I think it matters. Rounds thats have been deemed barrel burners tend to be much less popular to the public. Hurting sales dramatically. Look at the 220 swift. Will it still be accepted by enthusiast, long range hunters and shooters looking to get the most outta their favorite 6.5mm bullets? Undoubtedly!

If nothing else i think itd be fun to estimate. Sure looks like it holds a whole bunch of powder.
I look at the .220 swift every day and have owned three of them over the last 40 years. Considering there are still a dozen manufacturers producing them in factory rifles and factory ammo to feed them I don't really see your point.

The .264wm and 7mm Rem are both considered barrel burners as well yet there are millions of each still in circulation and every major ammo mfg produces factory ammo for them in multiple loads and bullets.