Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.257 Weatherby vs. Whitetail Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .257 Weatherby vs. Whitetail Deer

I don't know about flimsy, they just won't group. There is really only one good way to find out, buy the bullets, start load development, and see if you can make them work.

Steve
Old 10-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
I don't know about flimsy, they just won't group. There is really only one good way to find out, buy the bullets, start load development, and see if you can make them work.

Steve
Don't you have a .257???

You reload too, don't you?

Why not try it?

When I get my gun, and I get my reloading setup, then I can do the same, and we can compare results.

I just don't really know enough about reloading as to even make a semi-educated guess, as to what would allow a bullet that heavy fly properly???

I would guess super-hot powder...lots of it! And a super-hot primer???

That would be my guess...
Old 10-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

I have 2 257Wby in Accumarks. I shoot 110 Accubonds in mine and 100 grain Partitions in the other. The Partitions shoot a bit flatter due to their greater velocity but both do a fine job killing deer. My son shot a nice blacktail at about 15 yards Sunday morning and I would have thought it would have about cut it's head off. It didn't. It just dropped in its tracks with a minimal exit wound. His last deer at 158 yards was shot behind the shoulder and exited the far shoulder and we lost about all but the little bit of leg meat on the far shoulder. I have yet to kill a deer with my Accubonds but in different medium they hold together well and pentrate deep. They have a bit more punch beyond 600 yards due to the better BC. I firmly believe the 6.5-20 30mm LRT by Leupold was made for Accumarks. It just looks so right on there.

A 257 Weatherby is the perfect other rifle to compliment a 30-378. It will cover from squirrels through the biggest Whiities, Blackies and any other 'ies you need to shoot. I don't think it needs any heavier bullet. 26" is not enough length to get any reasonable speed out of anything much bigger. Believe me the 100 -110 grain bullets put one heck of a pop to them. I retired my 7mm mag in favor of a 2 gun battery of Accumarks. One 300Wby and the other the 257Wby. Between those two it is hard to justify anything else.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Slayer the Berger 115 grain bullet is step in the right direction. It works with a 1:10 twist and has a .523 BC which is quite a step up in performance from the Accubond.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

QUOTE: If you look closely...the .257 Wby is NOT that much faster, nor is it that far behind on its energy, than the 7mm Rem. Mag.
I used to shoot a 7mm Rem Mag. for a LONG time...it's still one of my all-time favorite calibers!
So, why not get better ballistics, with virtually the same energy?

Because you are only comparing muzzle energy rather than impact energy over distance. Over the long haul the 7mm mag, of any flavor, will deliver more energy than the .257's. Game animals do not get killed at the muzzle.

QUOTE:

I was just saying that don't you think for 0-300 yard shots that a .257 Wby. with a 140gr. Barnes TSX would be one BADD mama-jama!!!!

If you limit range to 300 yds I think the 257Wby would be a "BADD mama-jama" with any biggame bullet.

Enjoy the new rifle. I also find the 257Wby to be a very interesting cartridge for soft skinned biggame animals.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayyer22 View Post

I just don't really know enough about reloading as to even make a semi-educated guess, as to what would allow a bullet that heavy fly properly???

I would guess super-hot powder...lots of it! And a super-hot primer???

That would be my guess...
Slayer to my knowledge you will not find bullets that heavy in .257. Wildcat Bullets does produce some heavier than standard offerings, but you will need a faster twist barrel for Wildcat's heaviest offering. The Weatherby is a 1 in 10 twist.

I prefer bullets in the 100 to 120gr. weight for the Weatherby and leave the 75 to 100gr. for my 25-06 Rem. Tonight I will load some Berger VLD 115s at starting load for testing.

Powders typically used for large cartridges have a slower burn rate and our lit off with a magnum primer used when starting the load out at min. and working up to recipe book max. if that particular rifle can be safely loaded to max. So buy you a good reloading book now and start studying and be ready when you get your reloading tools.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Bergers or Wildcat bullets are your best bet for high BC which is crucial to long range.