Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.257 Weatherby vs. Whitetail Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .257 Weatherby vs. Whitetail Deer

MUD- i did not realize the thread was two years old. i am so enviuos of your accuMAR. WHAT have you shot with it? where are you that you have wild dogs and pigs?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I bought it several years back after 4 of my other guns got stolen....Inlcuding my custom built .308, and my Browning A-Bolt 7mm Rem Mag (my deer rifle)...So I needed a new hunting rifle, and that was what I chose. I will build another .308 someday, and will also buy another A-Bolt 7mm Mag someday, too.

I haven't shot much with the .257 Wby. Shot a few whitetail deer, and alot of paper targets. It does an excellent job at both.

I hunt in north and south-central Alabama. The land in south-central Alabama is a friend of mine's land. That is where the wild-dog problem is. They have been known to flank you as you're walking down trails in the woods, especially if you're by yourself. They will attack unprovokingly...Which is why we usually carry both side-arms and plenty of rifle ammo if we're up there.

We have wild hogs all over the place in Alabama. They're everywhere, and we don't have a season for them....They're such a nuiscence that we can shoot as many as we want year round. They tear up crops and property, and will utterly destroy a field or road from rootin around and digging them up to find food.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Gold Member

Hog Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Yeah, I bought it several years back after 4 of my other guns got stolen....Inlcuding my custom built .308, and my Browning A-Bolt 7mm Rem Mag (my deer rifle)...So I needed a new hunting rifle, and that was what I chose. I will build another .308 someday, and will also buy another A-Bolt 7mm Mag someday, too.

I haven't shot much with the .257 Wby. Shot a few whitetail deer, and alot of paper targets. It does an excellent job at both.

I hunt in north and south-central Alabama. The land in south-central Alabama is a friend of mine's land. That is where the wild-dog problem is. They have been known to flank you as you're walking down trails in the woods, especially if you're by yourself. They will attack unprovokingly...Which is why we usually carry both side-arms and plenty of rifle ammo if we're up there.

We have wild hogs all over the place in Alabama. They're everywhere, and we don't have a season for them....They're such a nuiscence that we can shoot as many as we want year round. They tear up crops and property, and will utterly destroy a field or road from rootin around and digging them up to find food.

I would love to help with the hog problem. Are you looking for "volunteers"? If so, when?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hog Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buano View Post
I would love to help with the hog problem. Are you looking for "volunteers"? If so, when?
Nah, the hog problem is on another buddy's land, and they're funny about folks coming out there. If it was my land, I'd say come on, but it's not.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: Hog Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Nah, the hog problem is on another buddy's land, and they're funny about folks coming out there. If it was my land, I'd say come on, but it's not.
I understand completely. I'm sure you understand that I HAD TO ASK!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
I'd say you must have some "stuff" on it. I run Leupold VX3 8.5-25x50 LRT scopes on my Accumarks and they weigh in right at 10.5 pounds on my postal scale. I like the 110 Accubonds too. Weatherby makes a really nice ultra light weight rifle in 257Wby. Thats the way I would go if i needed a lighter rig.
I have a .257 Accumark, with a Leupold 4.5-14x, 30mm tube, on it and it weighs over 10.5 lbs empty. I know this because I have a digital scale that is rated up to 10 lbs., but it'll show weight up to 10.5. But it won't show the weight of my .257. It's a heavy beast, and long! It's also the most accurate gun I have ever shot. MY 1st 3 shot group was 0.25"!!!

Yeah, it's a little long and heavy...but it's accuracy makes up for it.

RH
Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino Hunter View Post
I have a .257 Accumark, with a Leupold 4.5-14x, 30mm tube, on it and it weighs over 10.5 lbs empty. I know this because I have a digital scale that is rated up to 10 lbs., but it'll show weight up to 10.5. But it won't show the weight of my .257. It's a heavy beast, and long! It's also the most accurate gun I have ever shot. MY 1st 3 shot group was 0.25"!!!

Yeah, it's a little long and heavy...but it's accuracy makes up for it.

RH

The .257 Accumark lists at 8 3/4 pounds, Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 lists at 15.1 ounces, and the VX-3 4.5-14x50mm lists at 16.5 ounces.

With steel base & rings the MIGHT top 10.5 pounds, but not by much. With ammunition, it's guaranteed to top 10.5 pounds.

I would definitely use Talley aluminum 1-pc base/rings & save 1/2 pound.