Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

257 wby or 7mm rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Bronze Member

257 wby or 7mm rem mag

I have a remington 700 that I picked up a few years back that was rebarreled to 257 wby. I am trying to decide if I want to change it to a 7mm rem mag or leave it a 257 wby. I needs to be rebarreled as the barrel is going bad. I know I should probably use a 22-250 for coyotes but that 257 puts em down hard.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

Re: 257 wby or 7mm rem mag

It depends on what you intend to use it for. The 7mm has a lot better bullet selection.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

I was thinking brass for a 7mm Rem Mag is cheap compared to Wby. brass. How much of the Wby. brass do you currently own? If you have a surplus of that caliber it may be the better option for now. Like Marine Sniper said, there is a much better bullet selection. If you are going to keep the shots under 600yrds it will knock down the yotes pretty handily like you have already said. If you want to go longer for heavier game, than you should likely consider the heavier caliber.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

My pick would be the .257 Wby; Roy Weatherby had it right, and it was his favorite hunting cartridge caliber. Iíve used the .257 Wby for most the small and big game in the North West including Elk and found it too worked just fine; with the right bullet selection for the game. My last {out of the eight or so rifles Iíve owned in that caliber} was an Accumark; it was target rifle accurate; come to think of itíÖ, I never did have a bad shooter in any of the Weatherby .257ís I owned.
I believe in Weatherby rifle sales; the .257 Wby caliber ranks as number one, just edging out the .300 Wby.
As a Coyote and long range Deer rifle; well thatís where it shines, I used a 100gr Barnes XLC BT and would back it up with Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tip BT which both shot into the same poi at 100 yards, and both were very accurate; with the speed going to the Barnes for long range, along with stronger bullet.

As to the comment by Marine Sniper on the 7mm. Heís right about the better choice of bullets, and the application(s). Iím not sure Iíd go with the 7mm Remington Mag today in your case. Iíd look at something like the 7mm RSAUM; just think of it as a 7.08 Rem on steroidsÖ.. I think the RSAUM case is a great design and over looked by many today. Iíve used the case, also used on the .300 RSAUM for 1k matches at Raton NM and loved it; I shot with a friend that use the case on a wildcatted 6.5mm RSAUM and it was spectacular at 1k
A
Also the comment about brass always wholes true, yes 7mm Remington Mag will be a little easier to fined.

On a side note, Iíve seen the Marine Sniper do some very fine long range shooting with a 7mm, {not he 7mm Remington Mag} way pass where you thought it might end. Along with some very, very surgical 1k shooting and groups. Like me and my pick of the 257 Wby; thereís a reason he pickís the 7mm. heís experience with the caliber.
Good luck with your project.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info,

My brass supply is used up for the 257 wby I have shot 750 rounds through this rifle with my brass on its 7th loading and cracking, the load used is 100gr sierra bt and 75 gr rx25. It wears a rather short barrel of 23"so velocity is 3500 fps range. I feared that this rifle was near worn out when I bought it and I have had fun with it while it lasted. My delima is I own a 25-06 that shoots the same bullet with 57 grs of H 4831 at a velocity of 3300 fps and a 280 remington that runs a140 gr sierra at 3000.The ranges shot, are most commonly in the 350 to 400 yrds with the occational 500 ish shot. so not super long range by any stretch. I just cant seem to put this one to rest on my own. Oh yea the critters hunted are whitetail and desert mulies and a big pile of coyotes and pigs.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 436 View Post
My pick would be the .257 Wby; Roy Weatherby had it right, and it was his favorite hunting cartridge caliber. Iíve used the .257 Wby for most the small and big game in the North West including Elk and found it too worked just fine; with the right bullet selection for the game. My last {out of the eight or so rifles Iíve owned in that caliber} was an Accumark; it was target rifle accurate; come to think of itíÖ, I never did have a bad shooter in any of the Weatherby .257ís I owned.
I believe in Weatherby rifle sales; the .257 Wby caliber ranks as number one, just edging out the .300 Wby.
As a Coyote and long range Deer rifle; well thatís where it shines, I used a 100gr Barnes XLC BT and would back it up with Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tip BT which both shot into the same poi at 100 yards, and both were very accurate; with the speed going to the Barnes for long range, along with stronger bullet.

As to the comment by Marine Sniper on the 7mm. Heís right about the better choice of bullets, and the application(s). Iím not sure Iíd go with the 7mm Remington Mag today in your case. Iíd look at something like the 7mm RSAUM; just think of it as a 7.08 Rem on steroidsÖ.. I think the RSAUM case is a great design and over looked by many today. Iíve used the case, also used on the .300 RSAUM for 1k matches at Raton NM and loved it; I shot with a friend that use the case on a wildcatted 6.5mm RSAUM and it was spectacular at 1k
A
Also the comment about brass always wholes true, yes 7mm Remington Mag will be a little easier to fined.

On a side note, Iíve seen the Marine Sniper do some very fine long range shooting with a 7mm, {not he 7mm Remington Mag} way pass where you thought it might end. Along with some very, very surgical 1k shooting and groups. Like me and my pick of the 257 Wby; thereís a reason he pickís the 7mm. heís experience with the caliber.
Good luck with your project.

My comments were based on bullet selection only. Marine snipers do not use 7mms.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

7mm gets my vote, although 257 WBY is Sexy.