Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

25 Gibbes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: 25 Gibbes

I was thinking of the Nosler 100g. I think the Berger would be a good one for varmints and punching paper. I have been looking at the BC and they are not impressive but if launched at 3500fps with a BC of .522 for the Berger it is very flat to 1100 meters needing 28 MOA to make the trip I have a 6.5/284 but wanted something faster.
Crow Mag
Old 12-16-2002, 06:39 PM
Bronze Member

Hum, an interesting choice. Yes, the 115gr Bergers would be quite flat-shooting. I HAVE used them on big game [one animal], but...I'm not sure if I would again. The problem is that it's just such a frail bullet. Mind you, it killed Rudolph's babe instantly, but I found the wound-channel disturbing; the bullet had fragmented about two inches in, and it was clear pieces had come off on the way through. Yes, the bullet exited, with a hole about 1.25" in diameter, and I wasn't able to recover it <damn>. The doe was shot at 247 yards with the .257 Wby I mentioned above, and it's mainly why I'd be a little hesitant to proclaim it as excellent medicine. Who knows, maybe I just need to blast more deer with that combo? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] One final note; the 115gr. VLDs I had were very nice, but did seem to have the tendency to strip cores if pushed fast enough. I understand Nosler's have a thicker jacket--just about all other makers do, from my experiences, although--damn it anyways--when I need accuracy, the Bergers have never slipped me the friends.

Dave
Old 12-23-2002, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

You may want to consider that gibbs in 264 for long range. I have both and like the 264 the best. The ballistics seem to be a bit better with a better selection of high BC bullets. Ballistics will be similar to a 264 winchester. I have the gibbs design in all calibers from 240 to 358. They are the best thing I have found on a standard action. They will virtually equal there standard magnum counterparts until you get into stuff off the 8mm rem mag or the 300 wby case size.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:28 PM
Gold Member

Long Time Long Ranger
I have a 6.5/284 how do you like the 284 gibbes?